PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this AQ fold?

Acesover8s
11-08-2003, 02:49 PM
Average 10-20, not too loose not too tight. I don't know any of the players. 3 limpers to me on the button and I raise with AQo. BB and all limpers call.

Flop comes K24. Checked to me, I bet and get two callers. Turn is a rainbow Q. Checked to me, I bet, first player folds, next player raises, I let it go.

Bad fold or good fold? Should I have checked the turn?

SoBeDude
11-08-2003, 04:46 PM
At first glance it looked like you're getting almost 10-1 to call and try to hit one of your 5 outs.

But I don't think you have 5 outs here. If he'd raise you with a minimum of 2 pair you're in trouble and may be drawing to 3 outs. he may also have a set.

I bet, first player folds, next player raises

Is this a check-raise?

Its unclear what position the turn raiser is in, but if he was an EP limper you can really only put him on 22, 44, or KQ. In all those cases you're toast.

I think its an easy fold.

And good god no! you can't even consider checking the turn.

-Scott

Manzanita
11-08-2003, 04:54 PM
Hi Acesover8s,

[ QUOTE ]
Bad fold or good fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that you made a good fold here. I suspect that you are facing at least top-pair. I also wouldn't feel comfortable drawing since you could have very few outs (a probable holding for your opponent is KQo). Also, it is unlikely that your opponent picked up a draw on the turn; I can't see a decent player calling your flop bet holding JT.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have checked the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your turn bet. There's a good chance that you have the best hand. And if you are really lucky you could induce an opponent with a King to fold if he has a weak kicker. Finally, since you have position over the field you can just check behind on the end if you choose to do so.

-- Manzanita

gaylord focker
11-08-2003, 11:44 PM
I think its a very easy fold. That being said, I think I check the turn agaist most oppenents.

With a flop of K32, after you are called on the flop, and the queen shows up on the turn, I dont see too many worse hands he is going to call you with,taking into consideration that you raised preflop, and this board looks it has hit you. The benifit is that he might now bet into you on the river with a lesser hand, or now maybe you get a crying call from ace high. I think the check is best.

Jeffage
11-09-2003, 03:48 AM
"And good god no! you can't even consider checking the turn."

This is definitely incorrect. Two players called him on a K24 rainbow board. Turn is a queen which hits him. If he checks, he avoids being raised by a king or better and if he's ahead, freecards don't really hurt too much. On the river, call a bet or bet if checked to.

Now, I don't say DEFINITELY check. But it is a consideration here, and if you dont CONSIDER it in this spot, expect astute opponents to consider u a checkraise magnet.

Jeff

Rick Nebiolo
11-09-2003, 04:36 AM
AA88x,

Good fold by a lot IMO.

On the turn you can consider checking because giving free cards probably doesn't hurt you often unless the flop contained a two flush. Then you must bet. But given a rainbow flop it is darn close so I'd tend to bet and check behind on the river.

~ Rick

Rick Nebiolo
11-09-2003, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"And good god no! you can't even consider checking the turn."

This is definitely incorrect. Two players called him on a K24 rainbow board. Turn is a queen which hits him. If he checks, he avoids being raised by a king or better and if he's ahead, freecards don't really hurt too much. On the river, call a bet or bet if checked to.

Now, I don't say DEFINITELY check. But it is a consideration here, and if you dont CONSIDER it in this spot, expect astute opponents to consider u a checkraise magnet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post (Gaylord too). What would you do had the turn been a blank?

~ Rick

gaylord focker
11-09-2003, 04:56 AM
Hey Rick,

I think I would check if a blank fell on the turn here. Maybe agaist one player I would bet, esspecially with position, but I think it would be tough to sneak this one past two players who called a flop like that.