PDA

View Full Version : what am i missing?

zamora
11-07-2003, 04:31 PM
im trying to move from ultra-fish to semi-fish in my sh game and i am currently studying the Jason Pohl articles on pokerpages.

one thing that i dont understand is this. in his article " Shorthanded Hold'Em: Preflop Play (Part II) (http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/players/jason-pohl04.htm) he writes regarding heads up play:

"furthermore, the small blind has a positional advantage after the flop. position will allow the small blind to bluff more successfully, earn extra bets with big hands or save bets in many situations."

is not the button the bb in hu play? is it not better to act last in hu play? i am sure that i am missing (or misunderstanding) something here, but i need your help.

thanks

zamora.

Copernicus
11-07-2003, 04:44 PM
There is positional advantage to the SB in heads up because he can be first in, putting the BB to a decision, and thus has more folding equity (the BB cant pressure him to fold if hes already folded!)

Also, in limit, the SB is always getting better odds to call a raise than he is offering the BB to call his bets. Eg there are 4 small bets in the pot for the flop. When SB bets he is offering 5/1 to the BB. If the BB raises he is offering 7/1 to the SB.

J.R.
11-07-2003, 05:38 PM
sb has the button heads'up.

george w of poker
11-08-2003, 12:18 PM
I've never understood why the sb gets the button heads up. Why is that?

soda
11-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Too much of an advantage for the BB to also have the button. Correct play would be too skewed towards always folding the SB.

That's just a guess, but it sounds good to me.

soda