PDA

View Full Version : Democracy and Republicanism

andyfox
11-06-2003, 11:45 PM
It is clear when our leaders use the word "democracy" they are using it the sense of people being in charge of their lives, as opposed to authoritarianism or dictatorship. They don't mean that they vote on everything or that the majority imposes tyranny.

Andy they certainly don't mean that people's freedom to express their opinions should be curtailed because the government decides to go to war.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20031107/D7ULG7VO0.html

adios
11-07-2003, 02:21 AM
In a very strict sense the points in another thread about the difference between a Republic and a Democracy are right. I use the term Democracy loosely. The thought has crossed my mind that Democracy is a bit of a vague term as well.

Zeno
11-07-2003, 04:07 AM
I do not believe in democracy, but I am perfectly willing to admit that it provides the only really amusing form of government ever devised by mankind.

-H.L. Mencken

Andy,

I decided to heave another log into the fire; the blaze is not quite hot enough, yet.

-Zeno

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-07-2003, 09:10 AM
It is clear when our leaders use the word "democracy" they are using it the sense of people being in charge of their lives, as opposed to authoritarianism or dictatorship.

Well, then, they're really misusing the word if they think a) democracy can't be authoritarian or b) dictatorship must be authoritarian.

Although I'll grant I've never heard of an example of a non-authoritarian dictatorship, our government in the US has always tended to be authoritarian. Seat belt laws, motorcycle helmet laws, the "war" on drugs, laws against gambling, prostitution, etc. all impose unnecessary authority on indivduals.

The continuous efforts by big-government types on both sides of the aisle to view the role of government to be one of molding society to fit an ideal has created a supremely authoritarian arm of the government with respect to taxation and tax collection.

While the US may have the lowest overall tax rates for an industrialized country, we easily have the most Draconian enforcement of tax laws.

I'd rather make an enemy of the IRA than the IRS.