PDA

View Full Version : Playing for "real money"

08-15-2002, 05:15 PM
I am a newbie with a few months of “play money” experience. I finally got a $100 “real money” account at PP and was thinking of playing the HE $.50/$1 tables.

Problem is I am kind of nervous about losing the money. It’s not that I can’t afford to, more like I have this psychological thing that goes something like: if I lose the $100 it means I play like crap and should find another avocation.

Then, I noticed that PP has $6 ($5 + $1) tournaments and thought that might be a better way to get my “real money” feet wet. Even though I have never played a tournament, I thought I might be able to play longer for $6 at a tournament than at a ring game.

Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts on the best way to start playing for “real money”.

Susan

08-15-2002, 05:31 PM
Actually I think ring game is a better choice for your money. Try to play tight in the beginning, and I hope you have read at least 1 poker book before you try to get started playing. If not, then buy a book first, read it, then play.

As far as for books, Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players and Lee Jone's Winning Low Limit Holdem are good. Even though a book may cost you $25, but it's a good initial investment and you can make that back pretty quickly.

08-15-2002, 05:47 PM
Susan,

Problem is I am kind of nervous about losing the money. It’s not that I can’t afford to, more like I have this psychological thing that goes something like: if I lose the $100 it means I play like crap and should find another avocation.

You can't pursue a new endeavor with a negative attitude. Sometimes you can play your best and still lose. It happens. Judge your performance over time and hours played not on how long a hundred dollars lasts.

Then, I noticed that PP has $6 ($5 + $1) tournaments and thought that might be a better way to get my “real money” feet wet. Even though I have never played a tournament, I thought I might be able to play longer for $6 at a tournament than at a ring game.

Playing in a tournament could be a worthwhile experience, however I suggest playing in the ring games. Tournament play requires a different set of strategies.

Good Luck let us know how you make out.

MK

08-15-2002, 06:26 PM
Guess what, you aren't the world's best poker player. You've never played for real money. But you know what, you won't be the worst if you've been trying to learn. You won't be successful if you personalize competitive defeat and agonize about a loss that much. Everybody does that to some degree, but you need to be able to accept your results and analyze them. I say take $100 and play. Stay calm. See what happens. Then reassess. You can't be a poker player without playing for money. You can't play for money without losing sometimes. You need to reconcile your emotions with the realities of poker. I don't think tournaments are the answer. You need to be able to play hard and keep fighting either way. Good luck.

08-15-2002, 07:00 PM
Another point I would like to add is that since you know about this forum, I think you are probably in better shape than 70% of your micro limit opponents.

Get the hand histories when you play and keep studying the game. Think about what you did right and wrong and keep improving your game. If you are losing, think about why I'm losing? Is it bad luck or bad play on my end and learn from your mistakes.

08-15-2002, 09:27 PM
for starting game feel, do the tourneys...but for actual experience play the LL tables. it should last awhile. youll need to adjust from play money so youll usually be getting the worst of it for abit since real tables play a little different than play.

i will always recommend playing/learning limit ring game before any other type of holdem. the skills transfer throughout all the others much better and gives a better foundation.

some ideas...

b

08-16-2002, 01:15 AM
I played a $.50/$1 table at PP tonight just to get over the jitters. Had expected to be there for about an hour and left about 3.5 hours later. Started with $25, got close to about $10, re-bought for another $10. Battled back and left at $2.25 ahead.

It was great!

I have no bad beat stories or any interesting hands to talk about. I played some hands badly and missed some flush draws, what ever. Point is, “I did it”. Have none of you never been nervous about playing for “real money” (outside of a home game) before?

I’d like to thank all of those that replied to this post. I love this game and will be back for more.

For me, the great thing about playing for “real money” is that with the proper game selection, you can really apply what you have read.

I played tight and admittedly weak, but I recall in one of Mason Malmuth’s “essay books” that he said this is the way for new players and should be (apologies if I have that wrong).

Thanks again,

Susan

08-16-2002, 02:02 AM
Have none of you never been nervous about playing for “real money” (outside of a home game) before?

I think everybody felt the same way you did when they first played in a cash game or when they moved up to bigger limits. I was a bit uneasy the first time I played both 10-20 and 20-40.

08-16-2002, 02:37 AM
"Point is, “I did it”. Have none of you never been nervous about playing for “real money” (outside of a home game) before? "

right on....welcome to the club.

have i been nervous? yes, when i was first starting. wait til your first live game in a cardroom...yes, youll stand out for a bit as it takes some getting used to. we can usually spot the newbies fairly quick. but just play solid play until your comfortable.

it also eases the pressure when you drag that first pot. especially when its a big one. /images/smile.gif

i sometimes wonder before a session if im even going to drag a pot that night. and sometimes, though very rarely, i dont.

"I played tight and admittedly weak, but I recall in one of Mason Malmuth’s “essay books” that he said this is the way for new players and should be (apologies if I have that wrong)."

youll get better as your comfort level increases. i think your on the right track...

now just prepare for your 1st big losing streak. haha THATS when the game gets fun.

but anyways....congratulations on your first voyage.

b

08-16-2002, 07:29 AM
Susan,

Great post and congratulations on doing so well in your first session.

I am about six months behind you. Working with play money and thinking about playing in the 0.50/$1 game online. I found your post very helpful... can you give us another update on your progress in a week or two?

Thx.

08-16-2002, 12:19 PM
Susan,

Glad you finally bought in and started playing. You will do well as long as you play within yourself. You are ahead of the competetion for the simple fact that you think about the game and you read this site.

Have none of you never been nervous about playing for “real money” (outside of a home game) before? I sat in a $10-$20 game last week for the first time in a few months, and YES I felt a bit nervous. I enjoyed that feeling however, it kept me on my toes. If you read Mike Caro's The Body Language of Poker, he discusses when a players hand shakes he has a big hand. Well thats me, the first time I had a monster hand playing in a $10-$20 game my hand couldnt stop shaking.

Congratulations on your new found hobby, and look forward to seeing you Monday night.

MK

08-16-2002, 03:49 PM
Susan,

First, if you are going to play the tournments, play the 10+1 tourneys because the rake is half of the 5+1 games. That being said, I wouldn't start with the tournaments. You might play one occasionally to get your feet wet and have a change of pace.

My advice would be to start out in the .5/1 ring games. Play tight aggressive, and you'll do okay. If you follow this site, you are already way ahead of most of your fellow low limit players. With $100, you have 100 big bets; there is a chance you might go broke, but that doesn't necessarily mean you are a bad player. The statistical wizzes can give you the breakdown on the probability of going broke. Play smart, don't worry about the money; think about how the hands should be played and have some fun. You may be surprised at your result.

May the flop be with you,

Fitz

08-16-2002, 04:02 PM
Have none of you never been nervous about playing for “real money” (outside of a home game) before?

This question reminds me of something I had long forgotten. I played my first non-home game poker in Vegas about 15 years ago. I didn't know anything about hold 'em, so I was hanging around the tiny little poker room at Bally back then. I remember being so intimidated by guy at the podium and the whole "name on the list thing"... lol. The floor finally said something like, "Hey kid you want to play some poker" or something like that, and I sheepishly said, "O.K.". He put me in a 1-4 stud game, and I was really scared then. I knew I was playing with professional Las Vegas sharks... lol. The really scary part is that I began to calm down, and have some fun. I made every mistake in the world(played too many hands, had no idea when to fold, was terrified to raise, was totally confused by the bring in etc.). I played for a couple of hours, and I think I actually won about $30. It was the beginning of my real love of poker.

To answer your question, yes, we've all been scared at one time or another about getting in a game.

Thanks for reminding me of a memory I had long since filed away.

Hang in there, and congrats on taking the plunge,

Fitz