PDA

View Full Version : First Date & Equivocation

Michael Davis
11-06-2003, 04:16 PM
I am going out on my first date since my relocation to LA.

Unfortunately, my family history over the past few years has been like Act V of Hamlet. Anybody I went out with "back home" already knew this, but my date does not.

Since this is not exactly a fun topic of conversation for a first date, I don't want to bring it up at all. But, of course, she will ask questions. How do I tactfully dismiss questions about my family without resorting to lies?

Thanks for any advice.

-Mike

Ulysses
11-06-2003, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But, of course, she will ask questions. How do I tactfully dismiss questions about my family without resorting to lies?

[/ QUOTE ]

By family do you mean your wife and 7 kids back home or parents/siblings/relations of that sort?

If the former, yeah, perhaps that comes up. If the latter, that seems pretty deep for first date conversation. In either case, I'd just try and avoid the real deep talk on a first date, just as I try to avoid conversations about past relationships and so forth.

I like to focus first date conversation on less personal, but still engaging topics like "Who do you like better - Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera?"

J_V
11-06-2003, 04:43 PM
Hahaha...man you're on a pretty good run of getting me to laugh.

"Who do you like better - Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera?" That's the kind of question I would ask and I would generally care about the answer. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to hear Michael bust that one out.

Michael Davis
11-06-2003, 04:50 PM
I promise you I will ask that question in your honor.

-Mike