PDA

View Full Version : Taking advantage of table image

Jezebel
11-06-2003, 01:29 PM
Last night I flopped a nut flush draw and raised for value after 5 players were already in. Raised it again on the turn when all 5 stuck around and all were already in the pot. I hit my overcard Ace on the river and took it down with Top pair. About 3 players at the table go into a moaning session not understanding that my play was sound. Normally, I just ignore comments but I was feeling frisky and decided to play along. I responded that since an ace had not hit the board in quite some time, one was surely due. I got unlimited action after that comment and did not have to say another word all night. My question is do you find it profitable if given the opportunity to reinforce the notion that you are a fish to other players? I don't try to give off any particular table image, but if the table perceives me as either tight or loose, should I make a subtly effort to encourage their thinking? Obviously, I had to make some strategic changes after being labeled a fish, such as having to cut down on semi-bluffing and tighten up a bit, since folks were trying to isolate me. Should I just continue to ignore comments or occasionally play the part? Thanks.

rkiray
11-06-2003, 01:39 PM
What site and limit was this? In many LL games opponents don't even think about your cards, they just play their hands. But certainly in most 5/10 games, and many 2/4, 3/6 games some people pay attention. If these people were really good they should have recognized your play was correct. Maybe they hadn't thought about it yet or are just grouchy. I've got notes on a few players who are actually good, but will still complain when they lose on the river, even when I know they would have played the hand they were complaining about the same way. I think those guys are the biggest idiots of all. No matter what, your comment could not have hurt. Can you describe your opponents for us?

Jezebel
11-06-2003, 01:46 PM
It was a party 2/4 table. 5 or 6 seeing each flop and little to no preflop raising. Utopia. It has been a long time since I have run into a table like this. Hmmm... Now that I think about it, the way I picked this table was that it had a seat available and I didn't feel like waiting. I have been using the table search function on party to find tables with an average of 9-10 BB per pot. Maybe I need to re-examine my table selection requirements?

Louie Landale
11-06-2003, 02:11 PM
Not responding is a response. Your response was GREAT. Makes you look like an idiot and encourages them to PLAY like idiots.

- Louie

BigEndian
11-06-2003, 02:56 PM
but if the table perceives me as either tight or loose, should I make a subtly effort to encourage their thinking

The popular mantra here is that LL players aren't worth this type of play (meaning your dialogue) and that they generally don't pay enough attention. The truth is, they most certainly do pay attention on the 2/4 tables at Party.

Any inexpensive illusions you can plant in their heads is to your advantage.

- Jim