PDA

View Full Version : for you guy who don't watch 60 minutes

snakehead
11-06-2003, 12:01 PM
(CBS) A weekly commentary by CBS News Correspondent Andy Rooney.

Years ago, I was asked to write a speech for President Nixon.

I didn't do that, but I wish President Bush would ask me to write a speech for him now.
Here's what I'd write if he asked me to - which is unlikely:

"My fellow Americans - (the word "fellow" includes women in political speeches):

My fellow Americans. One of the reasons we invaded Iraq was because I suggested Saddam Hussein had something to do with the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center. No evidence that's so, I wish I hadn't said it.

I said we were going to get Saddam Hussein. To be honest, we don't know whether we got him or not. Probably not.

I said we'd get Osama bin Laden and wipe out al Qaeda. We haven't been able to do that, either. I'm as disappointed as you are.

I probably shouldn't have said Iraq had nuclear weapons. Our guys and the U.N. have looked under every bed in Iraq and can't find one.

In one speech, I told you Saddam Hussein tried to buy the makings of nuclear bombs from Africa. That was a mistake and I wish I hadn't said that. I get bad information sometimes just like you do.

On May 1, I declared major combat was over and gave you the impression the war was over. I shouldn't have declared that. Since then, 215 American soldiers have been killed in Iraq. As the person who sent them there, how terrible do you think that makes me feel?

I promised to leave no child behind when it comes to education. Then I asked for an additional $87 billion for Iraq. It has to come from somewhere. I hope the kids aren't going to have to pay for it - now in school or later when they're your age.

When I landed on the deck of the carrier, I wish they hadn't put up the sign saying MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. It isn't accomplished.

Maybe it should have been MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.

I've made some mistakes and I regret it. Let me just read you excerpts from something my father wrote five years ago in his book, "A World Transformed."

I firmly believed we should not march into Baghdad ...To occupy Iraq would instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us and make a broken tyrant, into a latter-day Arab hero …

This is my father writing this.

...assigning young soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerrilla war.

We should all take our father's advice."

That's the speech I'd write for President Bush. No charge.

Written By Andy Rooney © MMIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc.

Chris Alger
11-06-2003, 12:24 PM
There isn't anything here that questions the rationale for the war that wasn't known before the war. So maybe the speech Rooney should give is one where apologizes for not using what influence he had to point these things out before his country killed 8,000 civilians to turn Iraq into an U.S. military protectorate.

Boris
11-06-2003, 01:32 PM
I was against the war in the first place. I have nothing but contempt for these media whores that swallowed the BS hook, line and sinker when Bush was making his case before we invaded. Now when things are getting tedious they turn their backs on the administration and become the "nattering nabobs of negativity".

IMO, since we are firmly entrenched in Iraq we should do whatever it takes to get the situation cleaned up. Unfortunately this is going to cost some American lives and lots of dollars. But no one except for maybe MMMMMM expected that the Iraq war would be easy and short lived.

MMMMMM
11-06-2003, 04:38 PM
" But no one except for maybe MMMMMM expected that the Iraq war would be easy and short lived."

It was, Boris. Security in the aftermath is much tougher though.

MMMMMM
11-06-2003, 04:45 PM
"I probably shouldn't have said Iraq had nuclear weapons. "

Bush said that? Not that I recall anyway.

"Our guys and the U.N. have looked under every bed in Iraq and can't find one.

Even most of the known depots of missiles and artillery shells in Iraq--some depots bigger than Manhattan--have not been nearly thoroughly searched. Given Saddam's penchant for mixing chem/bio weapons with regular shells, this search will take some time yet. Let alone looking under every bed or in every backyard garden in Iraq. Shame on Rooney.

andyfox
11-06-2003, 04:58 PM
Bush never said, to my recollection either, that Iraq had nuclear weapons. Here's what he (and Cheney) did say:

"We know he's been absolutely devoted to trying to acquire nuclear weapons, and we believe he has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons."
-Dick Cheney “Meet the Press” 3/16/2003

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."
-State of the Union Address – 1/28/2003

"Satellite photographs reveal that Iraq is rebuilding facilities at [past nuclear] sites."
-Bush speech to the nation – 10/7/2002

"Our intelligence sources tell us that he (Saddam) has attempted to purchase high-strength aluminum tubes suitable for nuclear weapons production."
-State of the Union Address – 1/28/2003

So Bush did give us the impression that Hussein, if he didn't already have them, would have them soon. And Cheney said he did have them, unless I misunderstand the word "reconstituted."

adios
11-06-2003, 05:15 PM
Don't know what that means please elaborate. Personally I worked for several years on the dismantlement of US nuclear weapons and never heard that term but it sounds like it might be applicable.

Ray Zee
11-06-2003, 05:43 PM
i saw it live. it was a great show. we must realize tv is there to entertain and make money. so although it wasnt all exact facts what he said, the gist of it was kind of accurate. the real thing is that we are forced to now think about some of the things that were told us. then puke

Boris
11-06-2003, 06:43 PM
oh give a break MMMMMMMMMM. Are you really going to try and argue that the war in Iraq is over?

Wake up CALL
11-06-2003, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't know what that means please elaborate. Personally I worked for several years on the dismantlement of US nuclear weapons and never heard that term but it sounds like it might be applicable.

[/ QUOTE ]

More Than One Needs to Know About Reconstituting Nuclear Weapons (http://www.armscontrol.org/act/1998_10/daoc98.asp)