PDA

View Full Version : quick preflop quiz....only 5

PYITE
11-06-2003, 10:50 AM
These are some preflop decisions I'm struggling with.

We will assume a somewhat loose (4 to 5 seeing the flop),
and somewhat aggressive (raised 1 out of 3 times), 3-6 Hold Em table. 9 handed

What do you do with:

1. QJs (UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2)

2. KJo (MP and all folded to you)

3. 55 (UTG)

4. K9s (SB with 4 limpers)

5. AJo (on the button after CO open raises)

Thanks for your input...

"See the city, see the zoo. Traffic light won't let me through"

mmanne
11-06-2003, 11:07 AM
Here's what I do (I play mostly at Party 2/4):
QJs - EP = Call
KJ folded to me in MP = 75% fold, 25% raise (I've been trying to eliminate all hands with a J in them except suited, Paired, or on Steals)
55 UTG = Fold
K9s SB with 4 limpers = complete
AJ on button after CO open raise = Re-rai

Mike Gallo
11-06-2003, 11:13 AM
Py,

<font color="red"> Call me tight, however I would fold, unless I knew limping would induce more limping. </font>

<font color="red"> I fold I do not want to play a marginal hand out of position </font>

3. 55 (UTG)

<font color="red"> I call </font>

<font color="red">I complete, I would not raise </font>

<font color="red">Player dependant reraise or fold </font>

PYITE
11-06-2003, 11:22 AM
Myself....

1. QJs (UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2) <font color="red"> </font> LIMP

2. KJo (MP and all folded to you) <font color="red"> </font> RAISE

3. 55 (UTG) <font color="red"> </font> LIMP

4. K9s (SB with 4 limpers) <font color="red"> </font> LIMP

5. AJo (on the button after CO open raises) <font color="red"> </font> RE RRAISE

Do I give too much action?

Luke
11-06-2003, 11:31 AM

Call or fold. I usually call unless there has been a lot of preflop raising at the table.

Fold. Raise from CO and probably CO - 1.

3. 55 (UTG)

Call unless the game is too tight and aggressive. If that's the case, fold, then switch tables before you post the big blind.

Complete.

As MG said, it's player dependent. I'd lean towards folding but if I feel the player is aggressive then I'll 3-bet.

nyholdem
11-06-2003, 12:15 PM
Is calling 5,5 UTG a little too loose?

Mangatang
11-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Here's my thoughts:

1. Limp or call a single raise.

2. Fold. In middle position with no one in the pot yet, you don't have good pot odds, and it will likely be raised behind you to isolate you.

3. Limp. In a loose game, any pocket pair is worth playing, even in EP.

4. Complete. This one is easy. In the small blind with several limpers, you can even play any two suited.

5. Re-raise. Your up against a likely steal attempt, and you have a good hand for heads up. The CO raise means less than one from EP.

Mike Gallo
11-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Nyholdem,

You play to flop a set. In a loose passive game you will get the needed implied odds to play the hand.

GuyOnTilt
11-06-2003, 12:26 PM
You play to flop a set. In a loose passive game you will get the needed implied odds to play the hand.

The game wasn't described as loose/passive; it was described as somewhat loose and somewhat aggressive.

Sarge85
11-06-2003, 12:30 PM
1. Muck, Muck, Limp

2. Raise or Fold, table dependent - do not call

3. Muck - baby pairs are a bear in early position

4. Complete

5. Re-raise

I wonder how i did???

Luke
11-06-2003, 12:34 PM
Assuming your opponents continue to play loose post-flop, I think this is an easy call. Post-flop aggression is fine too because you're folding if you miss your set and will get plenty of action of you hit it. This action gives you the implied odds you need to take the flop, even if there is a risk of a raise behind you.

Remember, pocket pairs can put up with more aggresssion than suited connectors. With suited connectors you often need to go beyond the flop for your draw, which can get expensive.

GuyOnTilt
11-06-2003, 12:38 PM

I muck at the table that you describe. I'll limp if it's super lose/passive.

Depends on what MP seat I'm in. From the first one, I muck. From the second, if the LP players are loose with their cold-calls, I muck. If they're tight against raises, I'll open-raise.

3. 55 (UTG)

Limp except in tight games or aggressive games.

Complete. I'm not sure what you're unsure of on this one. Do you think you should raise?

I'll reraise this everytime.

Luke
11-06-2003, 12:40 PM
1. Limp or call a single raise.

I really don't think being the first cold caller of an EP raiser w/QJs is a great idea. You still have most of the field yet to act so you don't know if anyone else will be limping or reraising. Your hand is likely dominated by the raiser and possibly by any other coldcallers.

Mike Gallo
11-06-2003, 12:45 PM
Guy,

[ QUOTE ]
I'll reraise this everytime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to have some fun here Guy. What if the original raiser will only raise with AA KK or QQ and occasionally AK or AQ? Do you still reraise everytime?

PYITE
11-06-2003, 12:45 PM
On #4, I really meant to put Kxs ,is there really a difference?

PokerNoob
11-06-2003, 12:47 PM
The way I would play these hands:

1. I limp QJs from EP.

2. Raise KJo in MP if you think you can steal blinds, otherwise limp.

3. Limp 55 UTG in a total passive limpfest, otherwise muck.

4. Complete K9s, or any suited king, in the SB to limpers.

5. Reraise AJo from button if you think CO is on a steal. Call otherwise.

GuyOnTilt
11-06-2003, 12:49 PM
Okay, the "everytime" comment was a bit over the top. If the CO is passive enough to open-limp from LP with anything but premium hands, I'd muck.

CardCuda
11-06-2003, 12:56 PM
1. Fold, Fold, Limp

2. Raise

3. Usually fold, Depending on my table image though, small pocket pairs are usually a dog in EP's - If opponents are noticing that i only play or raise the USUAL playable hands from EP's - This may the hand to "change gears" and gamble a bit, raise - risky yes...but can occasionally steal a pot and get lucky on the flop with a set. I do not recommend this play but I have been tryin it out once in awhile with pairs 5 - 8 from EP's if I have a good feel for the table and opponents are noticing I'm playing tight aggressive.

4. Complete

5. Re-raise.