PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a Hat (Men's Fashion)

Michael Davis
11-06-2003, 03:05 AM
Do you think wearing an old school Stetson or similarly styled hat will make this 23-going-on-12-year-old (where body is considered) exude confidence, or merely look like a jackass?

Is it okay for a heterosexual man to wear a hat like this without a special reason?

Thanks for your input.

-Mike

Zeno
11-06-2003, 03:25 AM
You should try a classic black Fedora. Add a small feather or other garnish for that touch of flare that attracts the ladies.

-Zeno

HDPM
11-06-2003, 03:31 AM
Like a real cowboy stetson or one of the yuppie kind-of- fedora kind-of- crocodile dundee outback hats?

As to the first: Jackass unless you are a real cowboy.

As to the second: Jackass.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

P.S. Men's hats need to make a comeback. There is no appropriate hat anymore really. WTF do you wear with a suit in the winter when you are a balding guy now? Fedora stands out too much since hats are out of style. Goofy winter hat doesn't work. I have thought of getting a ridiculous Russian shapka with a lot of dead fur, but that is worse than a fedora. Men's hats suck now. Kennedy ruined it for everyone. And no hat works in the summer. I did have one, but when I wore it I was a jackass, and wore it for the purpose of being a jackass.

Michael Davis
11-06-2003, 03:59 AM
Zeno,

Your intelligence is great. Please tell me if you meant "touch of flare" to imply something negative, or if you actually made a homonym error!

As for flare, I do not have chlamydia. Even if I did, I wouldn't advertise, if that's what a feather symbolizes. Or maybe I just did...

-Mike

Michael Davis
11-06-2003, 04:00 AM
Thanks for your honest reply. Generally, my hat collection accompanies me only to the poker room, where I like to look like a jackass, but I was thinking of branching out.

I agree that hats need to make a comeback.

-Mike

M2d
11-06-2003, 04:19 AM
good for flyfishermen too, unless you like the feather and fur earring look

Zeno
11-06-2003, 04:28 AM
Well, you did have something about "disco inferno" in your original post so everything is on the positive side. I may have been under some disco dance trance when I made my post and I became temporarily insane. Flair is just too dull of a word. No flair to it.

-Zeno

Michael Davis
11-06-2003, 04:44 AM
I would not call it "insane."

Please accept my apology for even pointing this out. I was only demonstrating the tried and true virtue of anti-intellectualism that I learned in the public school system. Bring the best man down.

-Mike

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-06-2003, 09:40 AM
Wear a hat if you want, but a lot of bars in Boston won't let you in if you do.

adios
11-06-2003, 11:06 AM
I'm assuming you mean a western style Stetson as they promote three types:

Stetson (http://www.stetsonhat.com/default.htm)

Let's put it this way, in New Mexico wearing two of the styles you'd fit right in and wearing one of the styles would tend to make you look like an ass /images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Michael Davis
11-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Of course, one takes a hat off when indoors. It's the proper thing to do. Yes, I live in 1930

-Mike

andyfox
11-06-2003, 04:13 PM
You're asking poker players who hang around on the Other Topics Forum for fashion advice? We have no life, how would we possibly know how to answer this question?

Michael Davis
11-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Because you are all older than everyone I know. I don't care if young people think I look like a jackass... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-06-2003, 04:29 PM
Not a politeness thing. They used to not let you in if you had a hat. The purpose was to keep blacks out.

andyfox
11-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Fair enough. FWIW, I like hats, but there's an obvious reason.

I'll leave it for those who know me to elaborate.

I actually own a Stetson and I love it. When I wear it, which isn't often, I look like an idiot. But again, I'll leave it for others to elaborate.

ChipWrecked
11-06-2003, 05:12 PM
I saw a New York standup comic in Texas talking about western clothes and how Texans thought his skinny-tie-eighties outfit made him look gay. His response was, "In Greenwich Village, the guy in the cowboy hat and boots is the fag!"

Gamblor
11-06-2003, 05:12 PM
Gotta wear a toque.

No exceptions.

Toque (pronounced "too'k")
http://www.dubwear.com/images/catalogue/toque_string_navy.jpg

Mike Gallo
11-06-2003, 05:13 PM
Is it okay for a heterosexual man to wear a hat like this without a special reason?

Um, how do you mean that?

As a bald man I have a variety of hats. I find hats cool.
Wear a Stetson or a Kangol.

Ray Zee
11-06-2003, 05:30 PM
real cowboys wear baseball caps nowadays. although some will still wear a cowbay hat out on the range when its rainy.

if you have an old beat up stetson or resistol hat it is a classic and always makes one look tough and great. new ones are for old men in church.

HDPM
11-06-2003, 05:30 PM
this (http://www.arco-iris.com/George/shapka.htm)

HDPM
11-06-2003, 05:42 PM
that hat (http://www.dadshats.com/beavbranfur4.html)

I do seriously think bowlers should be brought back. I would LGPG in one I think.

Mike Gallo
11-06-2003, 05:57 PM
I do seriously think bowlers should be brought back

Bowlers look awesome. I want to get a nice velvet Kangol.

Mike Gallo
11-06-2003, 05:59 PM
I like hats, but there's an obvious reason.

Are you follicly challenged like myself?

I have a bald head and live in NJ. We get cold winters, wearing a hat keeps my head nice and toasty.

John Cole
11-06-2003, 06:28 PM
Can you post a picture, pardner?

Phat Mack
11-06-2003, 07:06 PM
real cowboys wear baseball caps nowadays.

My old man was born and raised on a ranch in West Texas. He has a picture, taken in the 1920's , of all the cowboys lined up on their horses. They are all wearing wool newsboy's caps.

Phat Mack
11-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Go ahead and wear a hat. Try on a bunch of different ones -- then buy what favors you. The guys advising you not to are the guys whose fathers wore them, but weren't allowed to themselves. You will be pleasantly amazed at the reaction of women to a man in a hat. Many women are as genetically disposed to hats as they are to shoes, but the gene is dormant since so few are worn.

Zeno
11-06-2003, 11:26 PM
Great looking hat. I have a light colored straw hat with a colorful band. Don't use it much but it is a stellar fashion statement. My Great Uncle Eddie (now gone to the stars) always had a hat on when he left the house. Always.

Also, Michael Davis, please note the feather in the Bowler hat HDPM has the link to. Us old guys, occasionally, know a few things. Don that hat with pride.

-Zeno

nicky g
11-07-2003, 09:06 AM
"You're asking poker players who hang around on the Other Topics Forum for fashion advice? We have no life, how would we possibly know how to answer this question? "

Hey! Some of us just have arse-all else to do in our crappy jobs all day. Hmmm; that doesn't sound a lot better though.

Michael Davis
11-08-2003, 02:53 AM
HDPM, Zeno, or anyone else:

Do you have to be wearing a suit to wear this hat?

-Mike

Zeno
11-08-2003, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have to be wearing a suit to wear this hat?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it is not mandatory. If your clothes are too casual, then you will be out of kilter and have an air of silliness about you. So unless you wish to look silly, you should have on at least cotton dress pants and dress shirt. But if you purchase a hat from a competent haberdasher he (or she) will be able to advise you on some choice of clothes. Also make sure that a Bowler style hat “fits you head shape”.

A snappy outfit is a pressed and lightly starched dress shirt, French cuff, use semi-flashy cuff links (not too big), dark wool vest with black satin back, sharp cut wool pants. Make sure your choice of colors complement each other and the hat, and make sure that any garnish that oozes from the bowler matches the tie that you need to add also. For flair, have a gold pocket watch and chain in the vest. If you sit at a poker table with said outfit, even Ray Zee would be afraid. Trust me on this. He will never admit it of course, and I would not expect him to. For added allure, have a 45 auto at the ready by your mound of chips and bills at the table. A Churchill size Cuban, poking challengingly out of the corner of the mouth, can be used for that oh-so needed touch of arrogance.

Nuff said, me thinks. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno

PS - per James Thurber, make sure the bowler is “pulled down rakishly over one cold grey eye”.

HDPM
11-08-2003, 12:08 PM
The bowler yes, IMO. The fur ring with gold cross, no. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

As to the bowler, I think English cut stuff would be best. Conservative 2-button suit, spread collar, tie in half windsor or full windsor knot. I tend to wear straight collars with suits, 1/2 windsor knot, which I think would go OK w/ the bowler, but a spread collar is better I think. A sleek 3 button suit with some collar or other and 4IH knot would be awful w/ the bowler IMO. If I started wearing hats, I would save the bowler for suits only. I would wear different hats with more casual clothes.

I can't believe Pokerbabe hasn't weighed in on this topic BTW.