PDA

View Full Version : 2 hands from Microlimit Party... weak?

Wyrm2
11-05-2003, 06:53 PM
2 hands from the depths of Party .50/1

Hand #1- Just sat down and posted in the CO
Party Poker 0.50/1 (8 handed)
Hero has Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif and is CO

UTG limps, EP1 limps, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, Hero(poster) checks, SB limps, BB checks

Flop(7 SB): A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, EP1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, SB calls, BB calls, UTG folds, EP1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds

Turn(5.5 BB): 5/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls

River(9.5 BB): 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks

(If I was willing to bet the turn I probably should have bet the river, but I couldn't believe that of 3 callers none could beat a pair of J's)

Hand 2- Party Poker 0.50/1 (9 handed)
Hero has A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is MP2

UTG limps, EP1 limps, Hero raises, MP3 calls, CO calls, BB calls, UTG calls, EP1 calls

Flop(12.5 SB): T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, UTG checks, EP1 checks, Hero bets, MP3 calls, CO calls, BB folds, UTG calls, EP1 calls

Turn(8.75 BB): Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG checks, EP1 checks, Hero bets, MP3 folds, CO raises, UTG folds, EP1 folds, Hero calls

River(12.75 BB): K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls

(I guess I want confirmation that I was too quick to go into check/call mode, I think I butchered this hand and am not too happy about it)

johnb
11-06-2003, 12:51 AM
I disagree some with how you played them but probably for different reasons.

Hand one is a tough one. In mico and low limit holdem your hand is seldom good when an ace flops and you do not have one. It is common for low limit players to play any ace in any position. Having said that, when it gets checked around to you on the flop I like your bet. When you get multiple callers however, I would be worried. The real decision comes on the turn. You hate to check and run the risk of giving any spade a free card but I would suspect that someone has an ace with a weak kicker and is going to call it down all the way. You’ve got a backdoor flush draw that adds some ev to the hand even if it is not the nuts so that might put this into bet mode for me. I think if you are going to bet the turn, you almost have to bet the river. With three players it is unlikely you have the best hand but there is a very outside chance you might get a stronger hand to fold so I would try it. I have discussed that play with several serious players that I play with regularly and they tend to not agree with my reasoning. Would be interested in knowing what the forum thinks.

Hand two:

I think whether or not you intend to see this hand through to conclusion depends a lot on how you play the hand on the turn. If you have made up your mind to see the hand through to conclusion, I am more likely to call. If you re-raise the turn and are raised back what is your play. This is usually indicative of strength (two pair or better) so are you prepared to fold?

JB

Guido
11-06-2003, 11:16 AM
Hand 1: I would probably have played it exactly the same way. Because 3 of them called your bet on the turn I would say at least one of them has an A so checking is correct IMO. When only 1 had called the turn, I would probably bet out again because he could be drawing.

Hand 2: I would probably 3-bet the turn. He beats you with QQ or TT but I wouldn't be convinced after just 1 raise on the turn. He could be holding AQo or KQo. If he has 88, 55, J9 or QT so be it. I don't think it is a big mistake to call him down.