PDA

View Full Version : 888 Flop

TheRake
11-05-2003, 04:35 PM
Party 1/2 (10 handed)
Just sat down, I have no reads yet.

I am on the button with 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
MP1 calls, MP2 calls, folded to me, I raise, SB folds, BB Calls, MP1 & MP2 Call
(positional raise here...was this okay?)

Flop (8.5sb) 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets, I raise, BB c/r 3-bets, MP1 & MP2 fold, I call.

I read this as no way BB has an 8. He would be slow playing for sure here. I Doubt he has an overpair or prolly would have raised pre-flop.

Turn(15.5sb) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif[8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif]

BB bets, I raise, BB calls

River(11.75bb) 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif[Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif8/images/graemlins/spade.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif8/images/graemlins/club.gif]

BB bets, I call

The only thing that made me a little uneasy was that he kept betting into me.

Comments?

Will post results later....

Thanks, TheRake

BigEndian
11-05-2003, 04:40 PM
I would play it the same way and not be disappointed to see TT or JJ take it down or to win over a lesser pocket pair.

- Groove

Lost Wages
11-05-2003, 05:01 PM
I think you're reasoning and play are sound, though I might have wimped out and just called the turn. BB played his hand very strangely, I'd like to see what he had.

Lost Wages

ElSapo
11-05-2003, 05:07 PM
The only thing that made me a little uneasy was that he kept betting into me.

Yeah, this would make me uneasy as well. It always does.

I like how you played it, though I would probably have called down the turn and river. Curious to see the results.

ropey
11-05-2003, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I read this as no way BB has an 8. He would be slow playing for sure here. I Doubt he has an overpair or prolly would have raised pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
So cap the flop then, if he still bets back into you then you can start worrying and call him down. By capping the flop you gain more information from him, and you can just call the turn and save money by not raising the turn if he still bets into you (you have position on him).

Of course, if you are sure that he has a lesser hand, than you should wait for the turn to get more out of your raise.

Looks like you may have run into quads here this time.

-ropey

TheRake
11-05-2003, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So cap the flop then, if he still bets back into you then you can start worrying and call him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a valid point. I like that thought.

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like you may have run into quads here this time

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually BB showed A /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

He was on the stone bluff, or thought his 4 on the river had a shot. He obviously was not a very good hand reader as he should have put me on a pocket pair with my pre-flop raise. I was pretty satisfied with my play and my thought process on this play.

TheRake

ThingDo
11-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Not to nitpick, but there is no reason that he should put you on a pocketpair because you raised PF.

ropey
11-05-2003, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to nitpick, but there is no reason that he should put you on a pocketpair because you raised PF.

[/ QUOTE ]
And raising preflop cannot possibly indicate a pocket pair?

-ropey

ThingDo
11-05-2003, 06:39 PM
"And raising preflop can not possibly indicate a pocket pair?"

Sure it can. Thats not what I said. I'm saying that there isn't any reason for him to put him on a pocket pair just because he raises unless he has some sort of read on him. And clearly he doesn't because the hero just sat down. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ginogino
11-05-2003, 08:43 PM
Rake:
I think it's very possible that BB is playing fairly straightforward. What if he holds A4s. His pre-flop call of your raise is reasonable.

On the flop he figures his Ace may well be good, not trusting the quality of your pre-flop raise from the Button. When you just call he likes his chances.

When you re-raise him on the turn he worries that the Queen made your boat. When his four hits on the river, he becomes hopeful again and bets out.

The turning point in the hand occurred when you just call his flop c/r. You are in this hand to showdown (absent a fourth 8 hitting the board), so the only question is do you want to be betting robustly or not. And there'll never be as cheap an opportunity as now to find out how much he likes his hand given that your re-raise has to mean that you have a full house at minimum. Even if house rules don't let him re-raise at this point, you'll know next round (if he checks, you can bet and fold to a raise, I'd think). I don't say he has A4s. I do say that he still, on this betting, could have a fairly wide range of hands, and that it might prove worthwhile to narrow that range a bit.

Gino