PDA

View Full Version : How to play ATo early on flop v PFR

Noodles
11-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Party .50/1$.Slightly tighter than usual Party.
Im in CO with ATo,folded to me i call(could i have tried a raise?)
Button raises(this button is a good player),BB calls,i call.

FLOP A K 8 rainbow
Now i often dont know what to do i a situation like this,if i check more than likely he will bet with anything.so i try a bet to see how he responds.
BB checks,I bet,button 2 bets,BB folds.I 3 bet.he calls.
I reckon he has to have something good after his 2 bet,so i 3bet to represent 2 pair or even better.since he just called i reckon he hasnt 2 pair.

TURN J.I bet out,he calls. Am i being way too aggressive here,now i feel he is not going to fold.

RIVER 5. I feel he has better and just check,he checks.

Anyway how could i have played this better.Maybe if i CR'd the flop,then tried a check on the turn.I could have saved a bet.

When you have top pair with a poor kicker and are in front of the PFR,is it a case of minimising your losses?

If i had check/called to the river i would have lost 2.5 BBs and look like a calling station,by the way i played above i did lose 2.5 BBs but also maybe i had a slight chance of making him fold and it makes me look aggressive.

how do most of you play in this sort o situation,i think aggression is good but maybe i was over the top here?

ThingDo
11-05-2003, 12:51 PM
If its folded to me in the CO I'm raising ATo every single time. At these low limit games... representing a stronger hand than you have will not get a better hand to fold against a typical player. I would have check raised the flop, if 3 bet I would call it down unimproved.

Noodles
11-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Is ATo one of those that you shouldnt limp in with after many others but if folded to you in late position then raise it.
What others can i lump into this category?

Lost Wages
11-05-2003, 01:09 PM
Im in CO with ATo,folded to me i call(could i have tried a raise?)

You should open raise in the CO with hands a lot worse than this. The button (you say he's good) should raise in this spot with a wide range of hands to get it heads-up figuring you don't have anything after your weak open limp. I would not be at all quick to put him on a better ace. Play the hand aggressively until you meet strong resistance. You played fine (other than preflop) but should have bet the river.

Lost Wages

GuyOnTilt
11-05-2003, 01:11 PM
If it's folded to you in LP (or MP for that matter), you should be raising anything you're playing. Hands like KTo, T9s, 66, A7s, all these should be open-raised from LP.

ThingDo
11-05-2003, 01:14 PM
Sorry, I didn't realise the BB was still in the hand, when the BB checks I'd bet hoping the button raises to knock the BB out.

Sarge85
11-05-2003, 02:28 PM
Interesting hand with alot of things going on. Here's my novice take on the hand. Maybe I too could use some feedback on how I'm reading this situation. Anyway here goes.

PF:
I'd definately raise this hand if it's folded to me in the CO. Actually there is a wide variety of hands that I would have rasied with in this situation. This is a place to steal the blinds, or just use your position in the hand to its maxium potential. Now the button raises - but this could be a position raise (for the reasons just mentioned). One limper I'd probably raise a wide variety of hands as well. Point being, we can't put him on any real strong hand as well.

FLOP
You led out and were raised, you played back - Probably arguments could be made to just call, but i like your aggression personally.

TURN
You bet he called - AH-HA - he slows down. Id say you could take out AK and AJ now. That leaves AQ as the hand to worry about. A set is highly unlikely as well.

RIVER
You checked-he checked - hmm, after i saw he slowed down on the turn, I'd lead out here again. Given he checked behind, I'd take out AQ now also, since it was obvious you don't have two pair, if he had the Queen, he would have known he had you out-kicked and would have bet the river.

So what he have - Weaker Ace? paired his King?

OR - AM I way off.

Sarge /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Thomsen
11-05-2003, 02:53 PM
Hi Guy on tilt i´ve read quite a lot of replies from u in the past and think that most of what u say makes sense - so please if u will exåplain why u raise anything from mp to lp if u choose to play it ?

Sorak
11-05-2003, 03:06 PM
That isn't exactly what he is saying. He says he will open raise with anything he would normally play. Basically if no one has limped before him he will raise it with something he would have normally just limped in with in those positions.

GuyOnTilt
11-05-2003, 03:17 PM
I'm not saying that I'll raise with anything I'll play from MP or LP. I'm saying that if you're opening (i.e. everybody has folded to you) that it's rarely correct to limp from MP or LP. If I'm opening, it's almost always fold or raise from these positions.

Sarge85
11-05-2003, 05:09 PM
Just curious...what was the hand result?

Sarge /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Noodles
11-06-2003, 06:59 AM
He had AJo,so i dont know what the hell he was doing on the turn and river,maybe he thought i had a set of 8s or something.