PDA

View Full Version : Views

thomastem
11-05-2003, 11:58 AM
When I read Card Player or Poker Pages I see a lot of reference to the parallels of life and poker. Comments like “Lessons in life can be applied to poker and vice versa” sum up my point. I’m going to give you a few life examples and apply the lesson to Poker.

1st Story:

Where I work there is a young lady. The remarkable thing about her is that she works harder than everyone in the office. She is one of those types that “lives to work”, 16 hour days and weekends too. Now with this information by itself you may think she is a good candidate to become a CEO or CFO. There is a problem though. Our hero is anti-social. Anytime co-workers joke around or have a good time she huffs and calls them childish. When you meet her in the morning employees don’t ask her how she is doing because her immediate answer will be the work problems or tasks for the day. Our hero never smiles.

Point: This hard working superstar will produce more for this company than any other individual but will never receive a promotion because she can’t interact and lead people.

Applied to Poker: You can get straight to the point of separating money from the fish, don’t smile, berate them when they think differently than you, so on and so forth. You will never make the bigger money as the fish won’t stay if they don’t enjoy the education they are paying for. The best pros have the fish searching for their tables rather than always having to hunt them down.

2nd Story

In school didn’t all of you have some teachers that you liked and others you didn’t. Some were better at getting through to you than others. Let’s take 2 types of teacher. One teacher is all business. Type1: You walk into class and immediately an overhead projector comes on. You have 2 minutes to take notes before the next page comes up. You end class with tons of information on the subject as 100% of class time was dedicated to just information. This guy obviously knows proper forum eticut. The type 2 teacher has discussions in class. Since discussion can get side tracked only %80 of class time is dedicated to information. I always enjoyed and excelled in the type two class, but I saw others excel in the type 1 class.

Point: Different people teach and learn in different ways. If you aren’t tolerant of different styles you will fail some courses.

Poker: At the Poker table you get all types. If you have disdain or contempt for certain types of people it will show. Your intolerance will either chase fish away or help yourself go on tilt when the “hated” creep bad beats you.