PDA

View Full Version : bottom two

slim
11-05-2003, 01:07 AM
10-20 live game

I have 5-7h and limp in on button after 6 callers...both blinds call.
Flop is 9-7-5 with 2 diamonds.
EP bets,fold,call,call,call,call......what should I do? Is this an easy raise?

mike l.
11-05-2003, 04:59 AM
you could wait to raise on the turn when a safe card comes off. rolf slotboom who i have hated previously on the gossip forum wrote an okay article about bottom two in card player. basically he says chill and wait till the turn, dont build a big pot w/ a strong but vulnerable hand on the flop because you will just be helping the chasers and they may catch on the river. you wont get them out on the turn because they will check to yuo after you raise the flop yadda yadda. hpfap goes into detail in the loose game section.

BUT if flop bettor will surely 3 bet w/ a lot of hands like A9, etc to clear out the field on the flop (And if said 3 bet will actually clear out the field) then you should raise the flop. it's a critical but close call on what will work best. pot is so big people will be pretty willing to chase in a 10-20 game.

in general id flat call and then pop the turn when a safe card falls. you still will see a lot of people meeting yuo on the river, and oftentimes beating you there, but at least youve maxed out a monster pot for the times your hand holds up.

slim
11-05-2003, 01:21 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking during the hand.....I have a strong but vulnerable hand against such a large field so I wanted to make sure a brick comes on the turn before raising. I wanted to know if the way I played it was being too wussy and what you call "scared of monsters under the bed".....but not getting too many responses.
As it turned out, I called the flop , and they all still checked to me on the turn when a 2 fell so I bet and there were 3-4 callers and a 5 came on the river for my full house.
That's when I regretted not raising the flop but I guess thats being results oriented.