PDA

View Full Version : NL satelite: Can anyone make this fold?

Emmett
11-05-2003, 12:59 AM
NL satellite: I am in middle position w/ an average stack, one short stack, two big stacks, and another average stack. Five players left, three get paid, blinds are %10 of my stack.

I get pocket fours, tight/aggressive player limps in UTG position(big stack), I limp, loose/passive player limps behind me(average stack), blinds call and check, respectively.

The flop comes: J 4 J club flush draw. I decide to slowplay the full house, and we all check to the button(loose/passive), who bets half the pot. Blinds fold, call from UTG (tight/aggressive) and I smooth call.

Turn comes: T off suit, and I decide to checkraise the button. Button bets, UTG calls, and I raise the pot. Button calls, and UTG raises all in. Without even considering, I call all-in, licking my chops. Button also calls all in, so more than half the chips are in the pot. UTG turns up the J-T for the winning full house.

Could anyone have made this fold?
What if UTG and I were the chip leaders, does that change the situation?

Vehn
11-05-2003, 01:12 AM
You can't limp here preflop. Move in or fold. I prefer fold.

CrisBrown
11-05-2003, 02:06 AM
Hi Emmett,

The general rule is to play bottom boat fast, in the hope that someone has caught a piece of the top side, and before he/she catches another piece of it. Remember that by smooth-calling, you're giving infinite pot-odds to draw to that other piece. Once the 10 hit, you had to consider JT a potential hand, especially for a tight-aggressive player. That having been said, it'd be awfully hard to lay down that hand here, and you'd have to be very sure of your read in order to do it.

Conversely, with top boat, you slow-play because you've crippled the deck, and you want someone to have a chance to catch up so you can get paid.

Anyway, to answer your question, I'm not sure I could have made that fold, although I have when I was VERY sure of my opponent and knew he/she wouldn't have come in over the top of me without the better boat.

Cris

Guy McSucker
11-05-2003, 06:58 AM
Whether you can fold or not depends on how good the UTG player is, and how many chips the reraise is for, which you don't say.

Your check raise screams that you have at least trip jacks, I think. UTG's reraise all-in announces a big hand, especially after the button calls the check-raise, since the button really has to have something to make that call. If UTG knows what he/she is doing, this is AJ, TT or JT. If not, it could be anything, of course.

Purely on combinations, there are 8 AJs, 3 TTs and 6 JTs. Given the preflop action, though, AJ and to a lesser extent TT are unlikely since they would tend to raise when the game is shorthanded like this. So it looks like you're beat, if UTG is any good.

Oh, wait, you did mention something about stack size: blinds are 10% of your stack. My calculations indicate that you have very few chips after the check-raise, so you can't muck.

Guy.

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-05-2003, 09:11 AM
5 players left, I'm not limping, even with a limper in ahead of me. I fold preflop.