PDA

View Full Version : Did I misplay this set?

chesspain
11-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Paradise 1/2, very fishy--close to fifty percent seeing the flop.

I'm on the button, and dealt 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Folded to MP who bets, folded to LP who coldcalls, CO poster folds, I coldcall, both blinds fold (Ugh, I had assumed at least one of the blinds would come along) [8.5SB].

[5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif]

Checked to me and I check, since the pot is small, and this flop is about as non-threatening as they come.

[5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif] 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

MP bets, LP calls, I raise, both call [10.25BB]

[5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif] 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

NOOOOO!!!!!

MP bets, LP raises, I fold

Of course, they chopped with AKo vs. AQo

I don't want to be results-oriented, but should I have bet on the flop, which might have chased away both of these hands?

Lost Wages
11-04-2003, 07:03 PM
I would always bet the flop here, not because I want anyone to fold but because I want them to call. A bet by the last to act is always viewed with suspicion. I'm sure neither player would have folded.

Lost Wages

Brian
11-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Hi Chess,

I assume that the MP player in this hand raised? I guess the cold-call is OK, but I would be looking for any reason to get out of the hand. Unless the MP player is a loose raiser, I would just fold it.

The pot isn't really that small, and its very suspicious when the pre-Flop raiser checks. He probably either has TT-AA and is looking to check-raise, which means you should bet, or he has AK, AQ, or something like that, in which case you can probably get more money out of him by betting the Flop because if he doesn't hit his overcard he may just fold the Turn (or River), and you've lost a bet on the Flop. In other words, if he has AK or AQ, he WILL call your bet on the Flop, but he might not call a bet on a later street.

You played the rest fine. They wouldn't have folded on the Flop if it makes you feel any better.

-Brian

brian0729
11-04-2003, 07:12 PM
I agree with LW you should bet, you want them to call and they have the odds to draw so get the money.

chesspain
11-04-2003, 11:26 PM
Since posting the above hand this evening, I have lost three other sets:

1. Flopped a set of 3s to lose to a flopped set of 6s.
2. Flopped a set of 8s on a board of 8AA only to lose a three-way capped river to an A7 who hit the bigger boat on the turn.
3. Flopped a set of 9s on a single spade board (of which I had one), only to lose to pocket queens (with a spade) when a fourth spade hit the board.

I'm trying to find the humor in all of this /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Guido
11-05-2003, 12:12 PM
At least you flop sets with low PP. I don't as you can see in my post cursed threes /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Just always bet the flop with a set unless you flop a full house or quads perhaps.