PDA

View Full Version : Raise TT on the river? #2

Ulysses
11-04-2003, 06:30 PM
PartyPoker 6-max. Just sat down and haven't seen my primary opponent in this hand before. Pre-flop cold-caller is a terrible player.

UTG raises. CO call. I call in SB w/ [ Ts, Tc ]. Sometimes I'll 3-bet here, but I know CO calls way too much pre-flop and on the flop and I don't know anything about the UTG raiser, so I decide calling is better. BB calls.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ Jc, Td, Kd ]

Good flop, but not the greatest. With such a drawy board, I decide to checkraise and maybe lose someone. PFR bets. CO folds. I checkraise. BB folds. PFR 3-bets. I hope he doesn't have JJ, KK, or AQ. I cap. He calls.

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 7c ]

Well, that didn't change anything. I bet. He raises. Hmmm... I guess he really does have AQ. I call.

** Dealing River ** : [ 7s ]

Nice. I think I win now. Bye-bye, AQ. I check. He bets. I check-raise. He 3-bets. Wow, maybe he really did have JJ or KK. But he's more likely to have AQ. Call or cap?

Anyway, since it's capped at 4 bets, whether I call or 4-bet on the river doesn't really matter. But what do you think of my overall play? What do you think my opponent had?

Bokonon
11-04-2003, 06:43 PM
Because it's Party you shouldn't just consider JJ, KK, and AQ, you should consider AK and AA as well /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I'd call and when he showed me AK/AA thought "Boy do I love Party Poker!"

anatta
11-04-2003, 07:21 PM
When the board pairs on the river and you check-raise him, most players will read you for the full house, given all the strength that both of you have shown so far. I agree that his turn raise after you capped the flop looks like AQ, but his river three-bet says otherwise. I think you played the hand fine, I would not cap the river, but I agree that it is close since you can't be re-raised.

This all assumes a sane opponent, and its my understanding that many Party opponents can play very badly.

Joe Tall
11-04-2003, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope he doesn't have JJ, KK, or AQ

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is, would he 3-bet AK on this flop?

Turn: I understand you laying off here, no brainer.

River: Call it and pray he doesn't have JJ or KK.

Peace,
JT

Ulysses
11-05-2003, 04:00 AM
Good responses. I thought about calling on the river, but then figured that there was enough of a higher chance of him having AQ than KK or JJ that a 4-bet was reasonable. Plus, capping is fun. So, I 4-bet. He called. My hand was good.

He didn't have AQ.

What did he have? I'll give you a hint. He liked the flop. He liked the turn. He liked the river. I bet the first guy to respond gets this right.

JTG51
11-05-2003, 04:11 AM
I'd probably 3-bet before the flop. 3-betting is fun, right? I haven't played much 6-max, but I imagine your hand will be the best here well over half the time.

I hope he doesn't have JJ, KK, or AQ.

Good thinking.

I like your flop and turn play.

Anyway, since it's capped at 4 bets, whether I call or 4-bet on the river doesn't really matter.

I think the 4-bet cap makes that the best play.

What do you think my opponent had?

K7s? I'll really go out on a limb and say Kh7h.

Ulysses
11-05-2003, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably 3-bet before the flop. 3-betting is fun, right? I haven't played much 6-max, but I imagine your hand will be the best here well over half the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I'd usually 3-bet here and think that's the better default play. I don't think calling is all that bad, though.

[ QUOTE ]
K7s? I'll really go out on a limb and say Kh7h.

[/ QUOTE ]

Decent guess, but I'm disappointed you didn't get this right. I'll give you one more shot. Here's the hint. I think his flop play is better with the hand he had than it would have been w/ K7. Now that I think about it, there are two possible hands you could come up with given my hints. I'll be happy w/ either one. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

rharless
11-05-2003, 04:24 AM
Jd 7d

(My first guess was K7s also)

JTG51
11-05-2003, 04:27 AM
Now that I think about it, there are two possible hands you could come up with given my hints. I'll be happy w/ either one.

Ah, this is real pressure, and I hate these guessing games. To make up for my terrible first guess, I'll try to guess both possibilities.

Jd7d, or Qc9c. Although I can't see why he'd like the river with the second hand, so J7 sounds better.

Ulysses
11-05-2003, 04:33 AM
OK, after reading the last two responses I realized that I was wrong. There's no way to come up with the hand he had given my hints unless you think like a moron. Sorry. I forgot one critical hint.

Only an absolute moron would 3-bet me on the river with the hand he had, even though the river improved his hand.

Now, the next person will get it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

rharless
11-05-2003, 04:37 AM
I feel like I am flailing away at an immovable ton of bricks.

It just seems like the 7d must be in his hand. I will only guess one card. That way I can be only half wrong. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JTG51
11-05-2003, 04:47 AM
OK. In that case, AcKc.

Ulysses
11-05-2003, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OK. In that case, AcKc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That's a hand that's reasonable to cap the flop with, likes the turn, and could easily like the river (esp. if he thinks I might have JT). And is moronic to 3-bet me with on the river. Yep, definitely fits all the criteria in my hints.

Still wrong, though. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

elindauer
11-05-2003, 04:56 AM
I guess you're looking for Ad7d. Qd7d fits your description and hits the flop even harder, but I suspect many more people bring A7s in for a raise UTG than bring Q7s in, so I'll go with that.

JTG51
11-05-2003, 04:59 AM
Still wrong, though.

I hate you.

I think elindauer got it with Ad7d.

elindauer
11-05-2003, 05:01 AM
Actually, AA would also fit the bill, no? The blank on the turn is nice, and the river 7 counterfeits all flopped 2-pair.

Ulysses
11-05-2003, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess you're looking for Ad7d. Qd7d fits your description and hits the flop even harder, but I suspect many more people bring A7s in for a raise UTG than bring Q7s in, so I'll go with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice work, sir. Yep, Ad7d. And yep, Qd7d was the other one I was thinking of.