PDA

View Full Version : the ogre and me

Tommy Angelo
11-04-2003, 03:43 PM
An OGRE (odd guy raising emphatically) sat on my right. He did not trust me. I knew so because of a hand we played that came down to headsup on the river. He had checked, I had bet, and as he called, he said, "I don't trust you," with his cards poised over the muck, where they fell.

This hand was not long after. $20-40, full game. I had the button. Two players limped and the ogre raised with a snort. He turned to me. I began to look at my cards. He watched me closely and obviously. I watched back at him. Then I took the slightest thumb-tip corner-peak at my cards, barely breaking eye-contact with him. I had a black ace and a black king. I'd check the suits later if it mattered. I reraised while our embrace held.

No one rereraised and four of us saw this flop: 8-4-2, two hearts, one club. The first two players checked. The ogre checked too, eventually, after a pause that felt like he was trying to resume the eye-dance. But I had already left the floor, bill down.

He barked a check and I tapped a pinky.

The turn was the queen of hearts. Again the first two players checked. Again the ogre eventually checked. This time I bet. The next player called, the next player folded, and now the ogre quickly raised. I put the straggler on a struggle and the ogre on no-pair, so I made it three. The other guy folded, and now it was headsup. The ogre made it four bets. My ground was no longer steady enough to move forward, to raise, or to move backwards, to fold, so I called, anchored, not minding one bit if we were to right now throw in an extra $40 each and run'em out and see who wins. If that willing $40 happened to go in on the river with me as the caller, then fine. As the bettor, even better.

The river was a black seven. When it hit the table, he extended a hand holding $40 in chips, cupping it up as he came to a stop. Then he gestured a check, knuckles down. Meanwhile, I had $40 in chips in hand too, poised in a way that implied I would call if he bet, and I would have, fast.

But he checked, and my bluff-catching chips turned instantly into value-betting chips. In they went, just after his first knuckle tap, before the second. He kept on tapping, then he turned over the ace of hearts, and it felt like he was looking at the top of my hat bill when he eventually called, and said, "Okay, let's see what you got."

I turned over my hand. And it was good.

Tommy

Mike Gallo
11-04-2003, 04:00 PM
An OGRE (odd guy raising emphatically)

A new word for my poker lexicon /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Franchise (TTT)
11-04-2003, 04:09 PM
I think it's about time Tommy wrote a semi-autobiographical movie script. The main character could have voiceovers like:

[ QUOTE ]
He did not trust me. I knew so because of a hand we played that came down to headsup on the river. He had checked, I had bet, and as he called, he said, "I don't trust you," with his cards poised over the muck, where they fell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd watch it. How well did Rounders do at the box office?

nykenny
11-04-2003, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I put the straggler on a struggle and the ogre on no-pair, so I made it three.

[/ QUOTE ]

that poor straggler /images/graemlins/frown.gif i will tell him to bet next time...

Kenny /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ulysses
11-04-2003, 04:46 PM

offTopic
11-04-2003, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'd watch it. How well did Rounders do at the box office?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, not great. I suspect there was more interest in rental/purchases after interest in poker really started to ramp up.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0128442/business

ElSapo
11-04-2003, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's about time Tommy wrote a semi-autobiographical movie script. The main character could have voiceovers like:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He did not trust me. I knew so because of a hand we played that came down to headsup on the river. He had checked, I had bet, and as he called, he said, "I don't trust you," with his cards poised over the muck, where they fell.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but with voiceovers like these it would have to be black-and-white, film noir, and always raining. Doesn't he live in California?

andyfox
11-05-2003, 02:05 AM
Post of the Year.

I was laughing all the way through. And on the edge of my seat too!

Bravo!

Encore!

mike l.
11-05-2003, 04:46 AM
i think i need to get out and go play. because as soon as i saw that you had AK i knew that the ending was going to be you value betting it on the river and getting called by his worse A high.

successfully value betting A high has meta-hand considerations that are huge. everyone sees that and just says wtf, this guy really has us all by the balls, he can see into our SKULLS or something. ive done it maybe twice in my life in live games in a real on purpose definitely not bluffing way and man what a rush.

mike l.
11-05-2003, 04:50 AM
film noirs were frequently set in los angeles. i took at least two courses where i was supposed to grasp why that is, or what it was about la that made it good for noir or noir good for la or something. i even taught double indemnity to a class. i cant seem to recall what it was about la that made it seedy and appropriate. there was something about the irony of the sunny locale vs. the dark characters.

but tommy lives in SF where it rains a lot. hitchcock used that area with perfect results of course.

Ikke
11-05-2003, 05:36 AM
This really is an awesome post.

[ QUOTE ]
But he checked, and my bluff-catching chips turned instantly into value-betting chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this should be a classic.

I must admit that there was a period I couldnt disagree with you more (mostly about blindplay and river folds), but they always started some good discussion and even triggered some Sklansky classics (the "crime against humanity" was a nice one ;-). This posts is not about agreement however. It's about the depth of poker; beyond superficial discussion.

Thanks for the great post.

Regards

Tommy Angelo
11-05-2003, 10:35 AM
"film noirs were frequently set in los angeles. i took at least two courses where i was supposed to grasp why that is,"

I always assumed it was because they wouldn't have to lug the equipment very far.

"but tommy lives in SF where it rains a lot."

Check your stats dude. We get nine consecutive dry months per year up here. Hmmm, it feels a little strange to take huffy pride in the weather, but you must consider that I escaped from Ohio.

Tommy

andyfox
11-05-2003, 01:16 PM
Wrong forum, I know, but I own a copy of Double Indemnity and each time I watch it, I see more and more things about Sharon Stone's performance in Basic Instinct that were absolute copies of Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity; and Peter Falk's Columbo is exactly Edward G. Robinson in Double Indemnity.

Cain and Chandler and Hammet wrote about L.A., so it was a natural that the noir films were L.A. based.

Zeno
11-05-2003, 01:40 PM
Wonderful edgy tale.

-Zeno

fooz
11-05-2003, 02:15 PM
Just moved out here a couple months ago from Boulder/Denver, the "sunniest city" in the country.

It's rained twice.

Tommy, looking forward to some "wrasslin" at LC's.