PDA

View Full Version : Party 5/10 str8 draw

DaveB
11-03-2003, 08:21 PM
I just started playing the Party 5/10 6max game and wanted some input on this hand that for some reason had me thinking afterwards. What's the best way to play it?

Folded to the button who raises, SB calls, I call in BB with KhTs. Flop is Q J rag (2 diamonds), SB bets, I raise, button folds. Turn is an offsuit rag, check and I check. River another blank, SB bets and I fold.

Comments?

Thanks,
Dave

george w of poker
11-04-2003, 12:46 PM
I'm no expert but I think the way you played it is good but it also depends on the oppenent. If he's a little tight you could semibluff the turn but I think most people will call you down with a pair so betting the river isn't a good idea. Now that I think about it he probobly has a pair because he is betting into a raiser so perhaps the semibluff isn't a good idea.

Joe Tall
11-06-2003, 12:19 AM
I'd fold KTo in the blinds out of position if the preflop raiser deserves any respect.

Other than that I think you played it fine.

Peace,
Joe Tall

stripsqueez
11-06-2003, 01:42 AM
i dont know the SB but i do know the game reasonably well - you have to worry that the SB is betting a flush draw on the flop - in this game they seem fond of doing that - they are also very fond of betting out at the first sign of weakness

theres $48 in the pot and it costs you $10 to bet the turn - against the commonly occuring SB in this game i would say there is a respectable chance you are in front on the turn - its ugly if you bet the turn and get 3 bet - but - if you check the turn you throw away almost all chance of winning this pot short of hitting something on the river because 90% of these guys bet the river without looking at there cards on this betting - if i bet the turn and get called i will not bet the river unless i hit

just a collection of thoughts really - the same comment applies to any short handed post - i love short handed because it always "depends"

as much as i advocate not bluffing in these schools i would feel better if i had bet the turn

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

lil'
11-06-2003, 12:03 PM
For me, in these situations, it helps to try and figure out what I want to do before my turn action. If I believe SB has a pair and won't fold it, I take the free card. If I think he is pushing a draw or is very weak and willing to fold, I bet the turn. Also, if SB is check-raise happy, I take the free card.

When you check the turn, you can be pretty sure you will be bet into on the river. Some opponents do this almost every time.

lil'
11-06-2003, 12:05 PM
Joe,

Unless the button is a tight player, I wouldn't fold K-10o. Perhaps I am too loose here.

Still the Spank E
11-06-2003, 12:21 PM
For what it's worth, SB played it the way I would play it were I holding 2 diamonds and 1st or 2nd pair. This doesn't mean that he wouldn't play it this way with anything else, just that that seems the obvious message (too obvious?) behind how he played the hand.

soda
11-06-2003, 01:47 PM
I make the call too, unless the button is an excellent player. Tight or loose has nothing to do with it for me. Actually I'd prefer that they were too tight.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

soda