PDA

View Full Version : 25 50 hand played poorly

all_aces
11-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Hey everyone,

I think I played this one pretty poorly. Please tell me how you would have played it. I'm in BB with Kh9d. UTG raises, meaning nothing (shorthanded game, very aggressive player...), MP and button call, SB folds and I call.

Flop is QcJs3h. I check, UTG bets, everyone calls.

Turn is Tc. I check with the intention of raising, UTG bets, MP calls, button raises (?). I know my 3 bet will lose at least MP if not UTG as well. I guess the question is, do I want to lose them? Didn't want to think too long, so I just called the button's raise. UTG folded (pkt 4s no good I'm sure lol), and MP called.

River is the Qh for a final board of QcJs3h Tc Qh.

And now that there's a possible full house on the board, I choose to bet into the field.

Comments appreciated, results to follow.

cruiser
11-03-2003, 06:27 PM
I dunno - despite making your hand, I think calling the raise on the turn was fine. Check-calling the river as well. Not only might the 10 have given AK the nut straight - the paired board on the river might have hit the button if the turn didn't.

Coilean
11-03-2003, 06:57 PM
Reraise the turn. Flat calling the turn raise gets at most 2 more bets in (in this case, only 1), while reraising could get as many as 5 more bets in, and there are plenty of draws for them to call with (a lot of which are only for half the pot, but they may ignore that). The pot is also pretty sizable already, and your hand is not immortal by any stretch, so you might not mind being heads up with the button on the river if a K or 9 falls.

The river seems pretty murky after you only smoothcall the turn. A 98 or busted JT seem pretty likely hands for the button, but so do slowplayed sets and QJ. I would most likely grit my teeth and bet, given the button may have been raising light on the turn if he sees UTG the same way you do. If the button raises, then you just have to make your best guess as to whether it's worth calling: it probably isn't if he's pretty straightforward and not very aggressive, but your bet also looks fishy (like a timid Q), so might inspire a raise from a straight or a strangely played queen.

all_aces
11-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Agreed Coilean. I played the hand weird. A turn reraise was in order to charge the flush/open-ender draws. And the river bet did look fishy, although I kinda liked that part of it.

Due to the preflop action I can't put anyone on AK because it didn't go to 3 bets, unless this was one rare occasion where UTG actually raised with a hand. So on the turn, when I was sure I had the best of it, with plenty of draws out there, I slowed down, and on the river, when I was not liking my hand nearly as much, I decided to bet and invite a raise. Bizarre. Thanks for the responses so far, results to follow.

all_aces
11-04-2003, 03:51 PM
I bet the riv, MP called, button folded what could only be TJ, and my hand was good. I guess MP had a weak Q, or something, he was by far the weakest player at the table. Thanks for the responses, and I'll try to get the most out of it next time. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

nykenny
11-04-2003, 04:22 PM
if u just call, 2 things likely to happen:
1) utg calls and mp calls - 2 more BB into the pot
2) one of them will fold - 1 more BB into the pot

if u re-raise:
1) all call - 5 more BB in the pot
2) either utg or mp folds - 3 BB in the pot
3) both utg and mp folds - 1 BB in the pot

so the average result of raising gets much more money in the pot when you are ahead. and average number of players goes down when you raise. I would RERAISE.

Kenny

all_aces
11-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Well said NY, ty. Very succinctly put, and you are absolutely right.