PDA

View Full Version : A Few Quick DVD Reviews

John Cole
11-03-2003, 03:07 PM
Make that very quick.

First, Vertov's Man With a Movie Camera on Criterion uses the score designated by Vertov. The film shows the awakening of a city, and follows a man with a movie camera as he records the day's activities. The film's pacing, enhanced greatly by the score, is wonderful, and the movie, made in 1928 celebrates vision and seeing in its many forms. A great early work.

Next, Rififi. Jules Dasein's great work looks wonderful, filmed in Paris, on rain-soaked streets to give that edgy noir style. It's the tale of a bank robbery, flawlessly executed, but gone awry nevertheless. The safecracker who has violated the "code" assents to his killing in a great scene. The execution of the robbery itself is a marvel.

This one sort of defies explanation, but The Draughtsman's Contract, Peter Greenaway's first film, is so much fun to watch. Have fun figuring out the puzzle of the changing landscapes and the various ploys.

Last, I watched once again Cabaret, and more and more I'm becomming convinced that this is the best American movie made in the 70s. The acting, editing, lighting, and use of color are marvels. Simply watch all of Minelli's hand gestures throughout the film. Then watch it over and over. Endlessly rewarding, I think.

Phat Mack
11-04-2003, 08:56 PM
I like Rififi a lot. The French don't always get Noir right (they tend to insert sentimentality (if that is the word I'm looking for) inappropriately), but this one is pretty good. I have been told that it is the first "caper" film, and can't remember an earlier example. Glad to hear that it is on DVD.

Cabararet is always worth watching. Will try to check out the others.

Cyrus
11-06-2003, 08:42 PM
Djiga Vertov's is indicative of the tidal wave of optimism that the October Revolution gave rise to in the arts. (Those movie posters...)

Jules Dassin went off to marry his ideal woman, the ur femme fatale Melina Merkouri, and live happily ever after. About Rififi, if it was made today, there is no executive who would allow the long dialogue-less sequence to make the cut without musical accompaniment.

John Cole
11-08-2003, 12:45 AM
Cyrus,

Dasein in an interview on the DVD says that Georges Auric, the composer, had written music for the sequence, and Auric begged Dasein to view the robbery sequence with and without the music. Auric's assessment was immediate: get rid of the music.