PDA

View Full Version : Do you fold here?

MikeyEdge
11-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Middle round of a 9 person No-Limit HE tournament, 5 or 6 players left. Blinds are 100-200. UTG limps, MP raises it to 400. SB folds. I call in the BB with 7-4. UTG calls. Flop comes 8-8-7. I figure I'm ahead here, so I see that UTG has 575 left. I bet 575. Then MP raises all-in for another 1275. Do you just let it go or throw in the 1275. I was chip leader and had a few chips to throw around (I think I had like 6-7k), but I put MP on 10-10 or 9-9, and I folded. UTG had nothing and MP had 5-5. I think I made the right lay-down, but this could have been avoided by betting 800-1000 instead of the 575. Then I think MP would have just layed down the 5-5. Some people might have a problem calling the raise with 4-7, but I think its a good call, especially with no fear of a reraise by UTG. Thoughts?

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-03-2003, 02:23 PM
easy fold preflop. I make this call to a limit raise *if* it's back to me and only the raiser is in the pot.

That being said, even if it were just the raiser and me, I'd check this flop unless I was sure the mini-raise wasn't a trap.

Stew
11-03-2003, 08:12 PM
I think you are insane for calling this preflop.

CrisBrown
11-03-2003, 10:02 PM
Hiya Mikey,

This is an easy pre-flop fold. Why chase a raise on 47os?

Cris

SoCalPat
11-04-2003, 03:55 AM
If you're going to call huge PF raises with that trash, you're more than welcome to sit at my table any time. Only the biggest of fish even dream of making this call, huge stack to throw around or not.

holdemqueen5
11-04-2003, 04:10 AM
A no think fold here.

pauly2x
11-04-2003, 04:33 AM
Mikey, have you been hanging around with Mr. D behind my back? A 4-7? You deserve the ridicule being layed on you. A 4-7? You could have at least embellished a little and said it was A-7.

oooooooh, but they were soooooted!

45Player
11-04-2003, 07:14 AM
In normal circumstances I wouldn’t call the pre-flop raise myself, but I don’t think it’s such a terrible play as other poster seem to think. He’s taking a look at the flop for 200 more which is approx. 3% of his stack. This can be worthwhile sometimes
i.e. the flop might hit him and his opponents won’t be able to figure out what he has and so he might win a big pot. Also if he shows his hand, his opponents will never be sure what he is playing off. I wouldn’t recommend this play all the time, but sometimes it can be ok.
I think he was unfortunate in that his flop bet didn’t win the pot immediately. It might have been better to try and check it down but that was unlikely to happen.
IMO the player with 55 played worst of all. His small raise pre-flop with a small pair is terrible – he has committed 18% of his stack, but that’s not enough to be certain of killing people off. He should have either limped in the hope of flopping a set, or else raised to 900 or so to try and get it heads up with UTG. I can’t criticize his post-flop raise as maybe he had a good read on our hero, and felt that he could move him off his hand.

I’m not condoning our hero’s pre-flop call, but it’s not as bad as other people seem to think.