PDA

View Full Version : Flopped bottom two - and got raised? 2 questions.

pudley4
11-03-2003, 11:51 AM
Home NL tourney. 7 players left (of 23), top 5 get paid. Blinds are T100/T200 w/T25 ante. Avg stack size is just over T3000. I have just under T4000.

Folded to button, he limps. Button has never played HoldEm before, but he's the chip leader by far, with about T9000. He'll play any A, any pair, any two-gap or better, and most suited hands. He'd have gone all-in with any AJ or better, or JJ or better. He'll call all-in with any pair, most Aces, and other random high cards.

I throw another T100 in from the SB with T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

BB checks. BB is one of the 3 best players at the table (along with me, and a guy sitting across from us). He's a little weak-tight, but he plays solid hands, and doesn't get too aggressive with marginal/drawing hands. He probably sees me as a little over-aggressive, although I haven't done much stealing yet at the final table. His stack is about the same size as mine.

T775 in the pot. Flop comes: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet T800. BB thinks for about 30 seconds and raises all-in (T2950 more). Button folds. I have exactly T2950 left.

Question 1: Call or fold?

Question 2: Should I have tried to check-raise all-in instead of betting?

Greg (FossilMan)
11-03-2003, 12:06 PM
If you have a strong read on the guy, use it. Otherwise, call. He is unlikely to have a set, as he would've often raised with one of those pairs preflop. He could have a better two pair or a straight, but I see KQ and QJ as much more likely.

Also, since you didn't go for the check-raise, he might be figuring you for a relatively weak hand that you're betting out to protect, such as JT, or T8, or whatever.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)