PDA

View Full Version : Kill pot - SB - sanity check

offTopic
11-03-2003, 02:15 AM
For various reasons, my play time has been way down recently, and I find myself in spots where I'm just not sure what's going on. Decision points in parens...

Ultimate 3-6 with Kill. It's a kill hand, and I'm in the SB with 9h8h. The killer is on the button.

3 limpers and button checks. I call (?)

BB calls, flop comes 8s 5x 2s.

I bet (?) BB folds, first limper raises, all fold to me, I call (?)

Turn: [8s 5x 2s] 8d

I check, intending to CR (?) limper bets, I raise, limper 3-bets, I call (?)

River: [8s 5h 2s 8d] Ks

I check-call (?)

Straightforward? Seeing monsters?

BreakEvenPlayer
11-03-2003, 03:22 AM
Some players will bluff the turn with the flush draw... The only thing I see here is a flush hitting the river. Doesn't seem like boat 5's to me, I think you played it right.

me454555
11-03-2003, 03:52 AM
Here's my 2 cents

preflop, nice play.

Flop: 3 bet, he could be semibluffing a flush draw in hopes of getting a free card. If he caps, you'll have a better idea of where you are

Turn: bet out, you can't risk giving a free card to a drawing hand.

River: Check/call after the 3 bet. My guess is your up against a better 8

Mike
11-03-2003, 01:00 PM
It has been my experience that kill pots bring out the worst in players - myself included sometimes. Players holding cards they normally would be mucking, are now raising because of the greed factor. Many people will play Ax or some other hand when they normally would muck. You are seeing little monsters, you will lose a few pots with your hand and this board, but you should win more of them.

Ace little would hang around and so would most any spade, plus anyone in there on something they think they can stretch into a straight post flop. I like your play though, very straight forward and decisive. I will take top flopped pair to the river anytime in this situation.

If the board was on the other side of your hand, I wouldn't like it as you usually end up on the ignorant end of a straight. With a little card flop, big unpaired cards have a big decision to make, hopefully they fold.

lil'
11-03-2003, 01:10 PM
Your play makes it look like you have trip 8's, but he's still raising. I think you have to slow down.

ZManODS
11-03-2003, 01:33 PM
I would probably play the same way except i would bet out on the turn. You do not want to give away a free card. River, check call.

I really cant see you against a better 8, there is a slight chance of A8 but still unlikely. 55 is a possibility. I wouldnt be surprised if he was on the flush draw at all.

Im saying he made his flush on the river.

Please let me know!

offTopic
11-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Thanks all, for the responses.

Preflop: With 4 people in, I figured the call was correct, despite only having $1 in against a $6 call.

Flop: I thought I had to bet top pair, and then see the turn once raised.

Turn: Agreed with the consensus, I should have bet out to foil the putative flush draw's free-card play. Let me ask this, though...if the limper raises and I 3-bet my trips, do I call a cap and then check-call river (unless the case 8 or a 9 comes down?)

River: At this point, I was concerned with 55, A8, and the spade draw (maybe even As5s, which seemed a reasonable holding based on the action, thus the check-call.

Limper showed 8c7c and I very surprisedly took it down (it's a game of inches /images/graemlins/smile.gif )