PDA

View Full Version : A common senario that most players lose a lot of money overplaying

theriverwild
11-03-2003, 02:12 AM
I've seen hands similar to this posted a few times and i have seen it happen time and time again in live games and online. When a solid player raises from the blinds. Usually a RR. and then the flop comes. With a big card usually A or K but sometimes a queen. And it's checked to u be worried. It's extremely likely he flopped a set! Then when u get check raised on the turn it's time to consider it's extremely likely you should muck. If he had an underpair he'd surely bet out to see how he is. And most players will put it to 4 bets on the flop but hesitate about doing so on the turn especially since they gave their hand away by raising or rr from the blind. Of course if the guy's crazy or has loose raising standards it's different but typically you're drawing extremely thin.

rigoletto
11-03-2003, 08:47 AM
When a solid player raises from the blinds.

I've also seen this numerous times but I would hardly call players, who do this on a regular basis, solid.

RollaJ
11-03-2003, 09:28 AM
I had a similar situation a month or two ago. I 3bet preflop on the button with AK and this guy limp-caps it. flop came A-K-5 all checked to me I checked behind I then called his turn bet and river bet and was shown the kings. I wanted to lay it down but just couldnt and I did have a few outs... at leat I lost close to the minimum /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rushmore
11-03-2003, 12:39 PM
All of this is extremely player/limit-dependent.

In the toughest middle limit games I have played in (up to $60/$120), there is enough understanding of this concept so that the "solid player in the blind" could make this move without a big hand, hoping to push the bettor off the pot.

Then, the next question becomes whether or not the bettor is aware of this fact/familair enough with this particular player/concept to play back at this player and take the pot with nothing.

Clearly, this is also a concept that has gotten so far out of control (particularly with the LA-area players, it would seem--aggression, aggression, non-stop aggression!) that I have seen player after player lose bet after bet making these newer-breed hyper-aggressive bets, raises, and reraises.

Certainly it is true that at the typical 5/10 table, what you say holds true.

For now, at least.

Diplomat
11-03-2003, 12:44 PM
I am confused. Regular raising from the blinds is poor, in your opinion?

-Diplomat

glen
11-03-2003, 01:04 PM
I am sure he's referring to the pattern of check-calling the flop and then check-raising the turn after raising out of the blinds and flopping a monster. This is a fishcake pattern in most circumstances. . .

Diplomat
11-03-2003, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a fishcake pattern in most circumstances. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the word fishcake. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Those who make it a regular play are probably making a mistake, but there are times where it is appropriate. I would make such a play when (but not exclusive to): 1. I am against a player who is very aggressive when his/her opponents show weakness; 2. If I believe the flop has given someone else a hand that they will most likely bet if checked to, but not raise if bet into; 3. Occasionally, against opponents who know me very well, for deception.

So, err...I agree. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Diplomat

rharless
11-03-2003, 11:09 PM
I think regularly slowplaying a flopped top set after a PFR is the poor part.

bad beetz
11-04-2003, 02:16 AM
what's wrong with raising from the blinds? I mean, I don't know if I'm "solid or not" I'm at least viscous. Maybe a coloid. Certainly not liquid or gas.

Anyway, I raise out of the blinds all the time. Mostly when everybody's a damn idiot and has crap hands and I have a real dope hand. And sometimes even not so dope, cause Dynasty told me to.

PokerPrince
11-04-2003, 05:50 AM
Yes, stunts like this checking after raising preflop should send some bells off in your head. It's generally a monkey who wants to wait til' a later street to make his money and let you 'catch up' a bit. It's a very poor play.

PokerPrince

J_V
11-04-2003, 06:00 AM
Kindergarten poker gets paid and will always get paid. The kid in me loves trying this crapola. It's amazing how often it works.