PDA

View Full Version : Interesting 99 from MP and 77 from CO

Redhotman
11-02-2003, 06:52 PM
3/6 Party Typical
--------------------
77 CO
Its folded to me. I raise. Correct? Should I limp here?
Both Blinds come.

FLOP
Ts Js 4d
Sb bets, BB calls, I fold.

Opinions?
--------------
#2 9c9h MP
UTG limps, I raise, LP cold calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

FLOP
Qs 7s 6h

I bet, LP calls, fold, fold.

TURN
8s
This gives me a straight draw and middle pair. Im probally against queens. I bet, he calls. Opinions?

FLOP
2h
I check, he checks. He has QTo..

Opinions on my play?

rharless
11-02-2003, 07:16 PM
Hand 1, I would play the same.

Hand 2, In this case he had a Q, but if you always make the assumption that a caller has top pair, you will miss the opportunity to charge a lot of draws, or also value-bet against calling stations.

I think I bet the turn. There is some chance I have the best hand, if not I have possible outs to improve (assuming I am not against a slowplayed flush), and there are a few hands I'd like to see him fold which he certainly might have called with on the flop but now fold here (A-big kick). All of that adds up to enough reasons for me to bet.

I think the river check is ok. I think a lot of people might advise you to bet. I personally, however, can't think of many worse hands that will call or many better hands that will fold.

lil'
11-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Hand 1 - Easy raise pre-flop, and a pretty easy fold on the flop.

Hand 2 - Gotta bet the turn when you pick up 8 outs and and undercard to your pair falls.

Mike Gallo
11-03-2003, 12:01 AM
Redhot,

You played both hands fine.

mauisupaman
11-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Red,
Hand1 - Definitely raise PF. And fold that flop.

Hand2 - Some may disagree with me, but I'd bet out all the way. You have no reason to believe he was top pair. Charge the draws.

MaxPower
11-03-2003, 12:29 AM
Hand 1 is good.

On Hand 2, I think it is better to call with nines in this position in a typical 3/6 Party game. You will hardly ever get the pot short-handed.

Redhotman
11-03-2003, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Red,
Hand1 - Definitely raise PF. And fold that flop.

Hand2 - Some may disagree with me, but I'd bet out all the way. You have no reason to believe he was top pair. Charge the draws.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didnt think he could be drawing having cold-called pre-flop...

mauisupaman
11-03-2003, 12:53 AM
You're playing [ QUOTE ]
3/6 Party Typical

[/ QUOTE ]. Those guys call 2 cold with 72 if its suited. /images/graemlins/grin.gif But seriously, at this limit people call with all kinds of hands against a raise. Bet until you've been told otherwise.

Redhotman
11-03-2003, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're playing [ QUOTE ]
3/6 Party Typical

[/ QUOTE ]. Those guys call 2 cold with 72 if its suited. /images/graemlins/grin.gif But seriously, at this limit people call with all kinds of hands against a raise. Bet until you've been told otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe I just seem to lnad on tighter tables than most people, but my poker tracker databases has most 3/6 games at 30-38% seeing the flop, I dont think thats very loose.

GuyOnTilt
11-03-2003, 12:58 AM
I really have nothing to add to what others have already said. I just wanted to maybe give you some encouragement and a pat on the back. I think you played both hands perfectly. Good job.

Redhotman
11-03-2003, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really have nothing to add to what others have already said. I just wanted to maybe give you some encouragement and a pat on the back. I think you played both hands perfectly. Good job.

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks, i pmed u by the way..

banditbdl
11-03-2003, 01:25 AM
I like your play on both hands.

Bob T.
11-03-2003, 02:01 AM
Hand 1 is fine.

On hand 2, I think you might have bet the river. Many times you will be called by worse hands, and if your opponent bets, you will have to call.

JTG51
11-03-2003, 02:04 AM
I think you played both hand well, except that I would have bet the river in hand 2.

mauisupaman
11-03-2003, 04:01 AM
Red,
You're right actually. I forgot the fact that I don't just jump onto any table at random. I specifically look for tables with a lot of multiway pots. So, my idea of a typical party table is a little skewed. See you at the tables.

hockey1
11-03-2003, 11:01 AM
I don't like the pre-flop raise in Hand 2, at least not without knowing more about the texture of the table. Whether you play 99 as a big pair (raise) or small (call hoping for the set) from MP depends in large part on whether you can significantly narrow the field with a pre-flop raise. If you can't, and you're likely to end up against 3-5 opponents, then your nines are probably outgunned by overcards -- and there are a lot of them that can flop when you're holding nines. At a typical Party 3/6 table I'd call preflop and then with this flop I'd bet out to see where I stood.