PDA

View Full Version : Party 15/30...getting checkraised on the turn.

Bob S.
11-02-2003, 04:11 PM
I'm dealt red queens on the button and it's folded to the CO-1 who open limps (this should say something about how good this game was already), CO folds, I raise, BB calls as does the limper. Three to the flop of Jh9d5s. Checked to me and I bet while just the CO-1 calls. Heads up on the turn to see the 10c. Check, bet, and now I get checkraised, I just call. The river brings the 4s. He bets, anyone lay down here against an opponent who lies a little more in the weak tight spectrum???

Bob S.

Bob S.
11-02-2003, 05:36 PM
I made a crying call on the river and my opponent's set of 5's took the money. I really felt a fold was in order against this opponent, I was a bit suprised by him showing me a set when I thought I'd be looking at something more like 9T or TJ. I guess sometimes it's just too hard to fold that overpair in a shorthanded pot even though I know my opponent almost certainly has me beat.

Bob S.

ML4L
11-02-2003, 06:20 PM
Hey Bob,

If he really is on the weak-tightish side, I would probably 3-bet the turn and take a free showdown if he calls and then checks the river. The benefits of this are:

1) If he caps, you can safely fold, because he almost certainly has a straight (I don't think that you quite have the odds to draw because of the likelihood of a split pot). In this scenario, you would lose the same amount as you would by calling on the river.

2) If he just calls and you make your straight or set on the river, you will probably get an extra bet out of him, because he will check-call the river rather than betting out if a scare card comes.

3) There is a SLIGHT chance that he will fold a better hand.

That being said, I don't think that this line is so much better than flat-calling that I would lose sleep over it. On the river, I would definitely call if the board pairs (he might have counterfeited two pair) and probably call even if it doesn't, but that just might be me being loose... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hope it worked out.

ML4L