PDA

View Full Version : The Macallan Cask Strength

Ulysses
11-02-2003, 02:58 PM
An excellent scotch. The last cask strength bottle I tried was Old Potrero. I thought it was far too harsh. At 117 proof, this Macallan definitely packs a punch as well, but the Sherry Wood finish really smooths out the flavor. It's not nearly as fruity as the Balvenie and Glenmorangie Port/Sherry/Madeira Wood bottles, but provides a really nice balance to the whisky. I highly recommend this one.

HDPM
11-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Stop teasing us and invite us over for some. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Roy Munson
11-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Macallan is sublime.

For any bourbon lovers I tasted a life changing Woodford Reserve last night.

Your welcome.

HDPM
11-02-2003, 09:06 PM
matt sklansky also recommended woodford. it is very good.

dogsballs
11-02-2003, 09:10 PM
If you haven't tried it already - get the Lagavulin 16 yr old.

DPCondit
11-02-2003, 09:19 PM
I find it (Lagavulin) a bit too peaty for my tastes. Now I've always preferred a Glenmorangie over a Macallan, but never tried the cask strength.

Don

Ulysses
11-02-2003, 09:23 PM
That's a very tasty one, but I prefer a slightly less peaty flavor.

HDPM
11-02-2003, 09:24 PM
nah, lag is just right. If you think lag is a bit much try laphroaig. it is really excessive, but wonderful. oily peaty seaweedy iodiney, yum. Lagavulin is my fave tho.

Ulysses
11-02-2003, 09:33 PM
I agree, the Woodford Reserve is very good. In a similar price range, I also like Knob Creek. You should also check out Old Rip Van Winkle. And for a special treat, Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve.

It's from Tennessee so I don't think it qualifies as "bourbon" whisky, but Gentleman Jack (from the nice folks at Jack Daniels) is also very nice.

Ulysses
11-02-2003, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
laphroaig. it is really excessive, but wonderful. oily peaty seaweedy iodiney, yum.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a great description of Laphroaig.

When in the mood for a peaty Islay, I usually go w/ Lagavulin, but sometimes the only thing that will do is that intense Laphroaig flavor.

Ulysses
11-02-2003, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now I've always preferred a Glenmorangie over a Macallan, but never tried the cask strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect you'll like the Macallan cask strength. I'm a big fan of Glenmorangie as well, especially their Sherry and Port Wood finishes.

But I think Balvenie is even tastier than both of those. Their whole range is great. My favorite is the Portwood 21yo.

DPCondit
11-02-2003, 10:43 PM
I've had the regular 10(?) year Glenmorangie, and the Port Wood, and the 12 year Macallan and the Balvenie Double Wood. Out of those, the Glenmorangie Port Wood was my favorite, and the regular Glenmorangie probably second. I believe I will try the Macallan cask strength when the proper situation arises.

But heck, they're all really good.

Good luck,
Don

DPCondit
11-02-2003, 10:49 PM
The last cask strength I tried was Booker's Bourbon, really nice. Of the bourbons, I really like Blanton's. I also like Knob Creek, and Maker's Mark. Wild Turkey is not bad, I didn't find anything too special about their cask strength though. I haven't yet tried the Woodford Reserve.

Don

DPCondit
11-02-2003, 10:55 PM
I've tried the Laphroig, given the choice, I'll take the Lagavulin. However, of the Islays, I preferred the Bowmore (I think that's what it was called) if I remember correctly.

Don

HDPM
11-02-2003, 11:30 PM
yeah, I think gentleman jack is pretty good and doesn't get a lot of mention. It has a huge vanilla flavor from the oak I kind of like.

ChipWrecked
11-03-2003, 01:56 PM
It's from Tennessee so I don't think it qualifies as "bourbon" whisky, but Gentleman Jack (from the nice folks at Jack Daniels) is also very nice.

When I toured the distillery years ago, the Jack Daniel's folks were quick to point out that 'Tennessee Whiskey' is not 'Bourbon'.

(I won't mention their opinion of Scotch... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Ulysses
11-04-2003, 05:18 PM
As of now:

This thread: 104 views.
"Fair and Balanced News": 544 views.
"Democrats Scorched Earth Policy..": 241 views.
"wolfowitz a legitimate target": 225 views.

That's messed up. People on this forum need to pay more attention to Scotch.

HDPM
11-04-2003, 05:43 PM
Yeah, that is totally jacked up. We have much more control over the whisky we gleefully toss down our necks than world events, and the discussion should be prioritized accordingly. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

brad
11-04-2003, 08:02 PM
true but maybe everybody just agrees on scotch heh.

i drink macallan its very smooth and im not a drinker so i like that.

dogsballs
11-04-2003, 11:09 PM
Heh, thats where I grew up - the isle of skye. So of course, I reckon Laphroaig stinks. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Side note; Islay is a beautiful island - been there for many holidays. It always gets great weather, esp in spring.

dogsballs
11-04-2003, 11:36 PM
true but maybe everybody just agrees on scotch heh.

i drink macallan its very smooth and im not a drinker so i like that. .

With you there, brad. Used to hate the stuff when younger (beer, beer, beer), but have grown used to it the malty bevvy.