PDA

View Full Version : Cold calling with aces 2nd in

Vehn
11-02-2003, 06:04 AM
I've been doing this a lot lately in both loose and tight games and had a lot of success with it. What I mean is when someone open raises and you have AA, just coldcalling rather than 3 betting regardless of position. This will frequently get the maximum amount in preflop, and if everyone else folds, you have seriously misrepresented your hand and can really put another overpair through the ringer - which is likely as with two aces gone, the odds of the initial raiser having AK/AQ etc is lower. Any thoughts?

AceHigh
11-02-2003, 09:45 AM
I sometimes do this, let the loose players call preflop, then raise the flop and drive them out.

davidross
11-02-2003, 11:14 AM
I've done it in LP, when I think I might only get 1 more caller, maybe 2. I'd be worried about doing it in EP where you might end up 5 way. I guess if you can lay them down that wouldn't be so bad either, but I tend to go too far with them so I'd rather play it heads up with 1 player for the 3 bets pre-flop.

rigoletto
11-02-2003, 02:56 PM
tsk tsk

David you know better then that! With AA you should be happy if the whole table joins the fun. Sometimes you lose and sometimes you lose big, but you are going to win overall. Are you getting gunshy!

As for Vehn's Idea: I use it sometimes myself if I think it'll get the most money in the pot. You really have to mix it up though otherwise your 3-bets will get no respect.

Tyler Durden
11-02-2003, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
then raise the flop and drive them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

easier to drive them out by raising the turn

Roy Munson
11-02-2003, 08:25 PM
I prefer to fold AA preflop. I have never won with them and prefer not to waste any future money with them.

CrackerZack
11-02-2003, 08:50 PM
In loose games I never do this unless i'm in late position and its an uncharacteristicly small pot and even then rarely. In tight games its nice deception.

chesspain
11-02-2003, 09:15 PM
I prefer to split them and double down /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clarkmeister
11-03-2003, 01:28 AM
I'm sure there are spots where this is the optimal play. The problem though with saying "I've been having a lot of success with this approach lately" is that ANY approach with AA is going to have success. Just be sure that you are choosing the highest EV play rather than the most fun play.

rigoletto
11-03-2003, 07:02 AM
Good point! (as usual)

nykenny
11-03-2003, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You really have to mix it up though otherwise your 3-bets will get no respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

did u mean too much respect?

anyway, i agree with you that we should not mind a whole table when holding AA, unless it's the last hand of the session and you CAN NOT sleep if you AA gets cracked /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

but one question i'd like to ask is, do you want to play AA for 2 bets each with 3 opponents, or 2 opponents for 3 bets each, preflop?