PDA

View Full Version : Up and Down swings within myself

Gomez22
11-02-2003, 02:18 AM
Since I'm still practically attached to the poker umbilical cord, if you will, I thought this might be the proper forum to discuss something I have noticed about my play recently. This has nothing to do with any pokertracker results, jsut something that hit me like a ton of bricks.

I have found recently that sometimes I play a more aggressive style, raising more PF, betting out with maybe marginal hands, calling marginal pot odds calls(maybe this is just plain stupid), and basically almost playing "cut-throat" hold em.

Other times, I find myself being a weak-wristed-nancy-boy who needs to fix my panties. I'll just call with 2 limpers from button with 99, or AJo, fold K6s from the SB unless 4 or more limpers are in, basically playing like my skirts too loose and I have to keep one hand free to hold it up.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this may be so? If anyone has seen many of my posts, and are good "readers" you may be able to conclude what type of player I am.

Also, does anyone else find themselves doing this from time to time?

Mike Gallo
11-02-2003, 02:41 AM
Gomez,

Also, does anyone else find themselves doing this from time to time?

No.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this may be so?

Once you lose your confidence you begin to back off. You allow your past to alter the present play.

TheRake
11-02-2003, 02:44 AM
I am constantly trying to overcome my natural weak-tight tendencies. It is easy when the cards are all falling correctly, but get a couple pocket A's cracked and it is weak-tight city! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

me454555
11-02-2003, 03:59 AM
Sometimes you just gotta go with the gut. Marginal hands like K6s w/few limpers aren't terrible throw aways so your not loosing much by getting rid of them. Some tables play different than others and you have to adjust your preflop play accordingly.

Louie Landale
11-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Sounds like you play marginal hands aggressively when it feels right, for whatever reason. Other times it doesn't feel right, for whatever reason, so you don't play the marginals and play others less assertively.

Raising with marginal hands when it doesn't feel right is a disaster.

Different styles for different games is VERY reasonable.

What you NEED to do is figure out what makes you feel the way you do. Just in a bad mood? Players are outplaying you? don't know how to handle the maniac? Know how to handle the loose-passive types?

- Louie

BigBaitsim (milo)
11-02-2003, 12:11 PM
Find myself doing the same thing. I get my chops busted a few times playing AKo by some schmuck who stayed in with 46s, stays in for 2 raises with an JK3 rainbow flop, then hits 5 and 7 on the turn and river. All of a sudden I have to force myself to raise with JJ on the button and AKs. I just keep reminding myself, as long as he plays his game and I play mine, I will get all my money back, plus much more.

Mike
11-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Anyone have any thoughts as to why this may be so?

Because you are human, and poker isn't a major ingrained part of your life? If you took a good poker playing attitude into the rest of the world, you just wouldn't get very far. It's not a productive attitutde except in a few restricted areas.

I too find myself doing this same thing at times. I think most of us have mood or persoanlity changes and it's perfectly normal.

Nowdays when I realize I am a soft touch at the table, I make a decision. Is the company that good that it's worth donating to be there, or is it time to quit? When I first started playing, my priorities were confused. Now I usually quit and do something more suited to my mood. If there wasn't life after poker, we wouldn't have time to post and do the other things we do in our lives, we would be playing aggressive solid poker every waking minute.