PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy a Bad Beat.

Joe Tall
11-01-2003, 04:35 PM
I'd like to thank Homer, JTG, and Rock. You are all the best and I'm happy to see it finally done.

Thank you very much for your time my friends.

Enjoy at Bad Beat by Joe Tall, technical example by Homer, edited by JTG, hosted by Rock! (http://www.riveredagain.com/articles.htm#Tall_Enjoy_a_Bad_Beat)

Thanks again, Peace,
Joe

Apoc
11-01-2003, 06:47 PM
FWIW, I think you need to change your bad beat example slightly, since your opponent has a double gutshot str8 draw -- either a 5 or a 9 will give him the str8. Other than that, nice technical example.

Apoc

GuyOnTilt
11-01-2003, 07:05 PM
It still fits the bill of a bad beat, i.e. an opponent drawing without sufficient odds and hitting. I think the example was chosen so as to NOT make people think 22 over AA type hands are the only beats that take place. Bad beats happen all the time, because opponents are willing to make mistakes drawing without odds. I think Joe did a great job in his writing, and I agree with him on every point.

There is one statement that made me flinch a little though. Homer wrote:

Of course you would prefer that they call since they are drawing to 4 outs with odds against catching a 5 of 10:1, but getting pot odds of only 6:1.

While it is true that you gain money on his call, in general you want your opponents to fold to your bets. If his cards were face up, then you'd be rooting for a call. In real poker this is not the case, and you almost always would rather your opponents fold when you bet. If I'm wrong in this regard, then someone please correct me.

CrackerZack
11-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Poetry, but aren't you preaching to the choir? Actually, probably not. Nice post.

tiltboy
11-02-2003, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It still fits the bill of a bad beat, i.e. an opponent drawing without sufficient odds and hitting.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see how it fits as a bad beat. His opponent is getting 6:1 on the turn call with odds of 4.75:1.

Mike Gallo
11-02-2003, 12:56 AM
Your the man Joe. Next time I take a ride up to the Woods I will look you up.

We can drink more than three mugs of beer each and I can report to Ulysses that you can indeed drink more than two cans a day /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Joe Tall
11-02-2003, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In real poker this is not the case, and you almost always would rather your opponents fold when you bet. If I'm wrong in this regard, then someone please correct me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guy, you want everyone to fold when you have AA?? Everytime? I want 9 callers.

Peace,
JT