PDA

View Full Version : Help: gaming club mailer daemon rejecting my email

Fraubump
11-01-2003, 04:30 PM
I sent them an email trying to signup for the OIC, but have gotten my email back twice now with this message:

"Message from yahoo.com.
Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).

<support@gamingclubpoker.com>:
Connected to 196.7.156.212 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 550 This system is configured to reject mail from 66.217.93.18 (DNS reverse lookup failed)"

Why would the sytem be configured to reject email from my ISP? (what did I ever do to them?)

Any ideas?

Thanks, Frau

rusty JEDI
11-01-2003, 04:51 PM
Im getting the same error.

archmagi
11-01-2003, 04:52 PM
I had some problems getting my e-mails through to them yesterday as well. Then eventually got through.
Try again in half an hour?

xxx
11-01-2003, 05:05 PM
Not a good sign if support won't even accept a message ...

rusty JEDI
11-01-2003, 05:09 PM
Im not worried enough about it yet, but maybe if someone has the support phone number its worth a call to let them know they need to fix it.

SwordFish
11-01-2003, 06:11 PM
I've been having the same problem since this morning. I sent them a PM....haven't heard back yet.

SF

Gaming Club
11-01-2003, 06:19 PM
We're getting plenty of OIC emails coming in all the time, so this doesn't make any sense. Our tech guys are currently looking at it and as soon as we know more we'll post a follow up.

In the meantime, you can certainly call the help desk and sign up over the phone.

Inthacup
11-01-2003, 07:41 PM
I have tried emailing support several times today, but have not yet had an email go through.

Cup

pokerwhore
11-01-2003, 08:23 PM
im getting the same thing rejected mail.

Homer
11-01-2003, 08:23 PM
I'm presently having the same problem.

BTW, it worked last night.

-- Homer

Gaming Club
11-02-2003, 01:24 AM
This should now be fixed -- anyone still struggling?

Our tech guys came in in the middle of the night, fiddled with the mail servers, proclaimed success and gave the following explanation:

"Because of extremely high spam volumes, we enabled reverse DNS lookups to validate incoming email (ie if this test fails then it's assumed to be spam). We had a problem resolving the Yahoo! mail servers tho, so this option has been disabled until the Yahoo! problem is resolved."

Yahoo! probably wasn't the only domain affected, but the fix is a general one not just for Yahoo! -- we've tested it from Yahoo! and we do get the messages through now.

Hope it's now sorted out -- anyone still struggling please post here so we can follow up (don't PM - you'll just end up at the back of a VERY long queue! /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Re non-responses to PMs, we just haven't had a chance to get to those yet... you guys are prolific - there are a whole bunch of them to get to still, so please bear with us since some of you are only likely to get PM replies tomorrow

MrBatman
11-02-2003, 09:57 AM
It's working now.

Seems your tech guys forgot to tell the mail server which DNS server to use for lookups.

Btw: I am getting much better spam filtering results using an IP blacklist that recects mails from residential IP's - like dynablock.easynet.nl.

- Batman

Gaming Club
11-02-2003, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Seems your tech guys forgot to tell the mail server which DNS server to use for lookups.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually as they've explained it to us it seems that the fault was slightly different from this.

For incoming mail, they enabled an option that required reverse DNS lookups to be successful before mail would be accepted. Apparently you can't do a reverse DNS lookup on Yahoo's mail servers, so all mail incoming from Yahoo was automatically being treated as spam ... you figure one of them would have thought to check all the major webmail providers before turning this option on, but supposedly they heard that AOL do this and therefore they must have assumed there would be no problems. More likely AOL do it (if they do that is) on a selective basis and let incoming mail from domains like Yahoo! in regardless of whether or not the reverse DNS lookup works.

DISCLAIMER: for the true techies in the audience, apologies if we're confusing things above -- this is our 2nd hand version of the geek-speak we originally heard, so a few important details might have been lost in translation

[ QUOTE ]

Btw: I am getting much better spam filtering results using an IP blacklist that recects mails from residential IP's - like dynablock.easynet.nl.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks - we'll pas the tip on