PDA

View Full Version : My first bad beat post. Maybe online poker IS rigged?!

shaniac
11-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Okay I am seemingly about to join the legion of jerkoffs who think there is something weird on Pokerstars, which I don't, but this was really really weird.

I am of course joking (in my post-title) but I can't really figure out why the hell my opponent would play his hand this way unless he knew what the board would look like at the river.

Again, I am basically joking around but I need to vent.

We are three-handed in an $86 1-table satellite for the Pokestars WPT cash qualifier (1st gets seat, 2nd gets like $70) when this hand happens:

PokerStars Game #163425306: Tournament #506975, Hold'em No Limit -
Level VI (100/200)

Seat 2: RicLen (3890 in chips)
Seat 5: yowill (4599 in chips)
Seat 7: shaniac (5011 in chips)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to shaniac [8h Ac]
shaniac: raises 400 to 600
RicLen: raises 400 to 1000
yowill: folds

shaniac: raises 4011 to 5011 and is all-in
RicLen: calls 2890 and is all-in

RicLen (small blind) shows [7d 4d]

*** FLOP *** [6d 2h Ts]

JimiThing [observer] said, "?"
shaniac said, "why?"
*** TURN *** [6d 2h Ts] [3s]
*** RIVER *** [6d 2h Ts 3s] [5s]
JimiThing [observer] said, "what?"
*** SHOW DOWN ***
RicLen: shows [7d 4d] (a straight, Three to Seven)
shaniac: shows [8h Ac] (high card Ace)
RicLen collected 7980 from pot
shaniac said, "you knew?"
shaniac said, "I mean wtf?"

*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 7980 | Rake 0
Board [6d 2h Ts 3s 5s]
Seat 2: RicLen (small blind) showed [7d 4d] and won (7980) with a
straight, Three to Seven
Seat 5: yowill (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: shaniac (button) showed [8h Ac] and lost with high card Ace

Basically he called for all his chips at a time when it mattered most in every way and was likely to be dominated with his hand. Did he figure the likelihood of his having "live cards" would make this a good play?

Thanks for indulging me. It won't happen again.

shaniac

DeliciousDi
11-01-2003, 10:09 PM
Playing online, you will see more hands per hour and more hands in general than in B&M and you will see more strange plays - at least more plays that you think are strange, but there might be a method to their madness (if you play according to Sklansky in TPFAP, you will raise more often with J,5o than you will with A,Qo) or they might simply be mad (as in insane) or they might be on tilt or it might be the case that they simply don't know how to play poker, and they are gamblers, not poker players - or maybe they just like the pot odds in a given hand, and there is something to be said for that approach, tho not my style.
It's not a 'bad beat' every time someone outdraws you - see the definition of Bad Beat for Bad Beat Jackpots.
I've been playing on PokerStars for some months now and I feel like I've seen it all, even have done it all - LOL I once went all in with a Doyle Brunson just to get out of the tourney and go do something else and I won that hand, went all in the next two hands without even looking at my pocket cards, won those and the tourney and went on to do something else $1,700 richer. That caper resulted in accusations of 'rigging' and collusion.
I try to follow Lee Jones' advice - forget the hand before even ever happened and go on with your best game.
Of course rigging ain't happening (certainly not in the chump change category I play in) and when I get down and out over being beat like that I remind myself that those players will be gone, tapped out in the long run, and I'll still be around and, I think, so will you.

CrisBrown
11-01-2003, 11:54 PM
Hiya shaniac,

Yup, tonight was definitely not a night to move in with the best hand on PokerStars. *laughs* I just won a $11 2-table sng catching a couple of nice draws -- JJ caught vs. KK, 77 caught vs. 88 -- but I didn't think either was a silly hand to be in with. On the other hand, I saw what I think was the worst bad beat of the night....

UTG raises to 3x big blind. BB calls. Flop is Q-7-7. BB moves all-in. UTG calls. BB shows 77. UTG shows QQ. And the turn card?

You guessed it ... Q.

I wasn't in the hand so I didn't feel bad. Actually, it kinda rescued my piece of mind, coz I'd been victimized by that kind of thing in two prior tourneys (see another post).

Sometimes weird stuff just happens in waves....

Cris

curtains
11-02-2003, 02:11 AM
hey shaniac genius, keep going allin with bad aces and lose all your money FAST!!! you got what you deserved for your reckless play, read some sklansky or something!!!!

Copernicus
11-02-2003, 05:14 AM
He put you on a steal and thought he could raise you out. Once he is in for 1000, if he folds hes got less than 25% of the chips going for the only meaningful spot. If he wins hes got almost 60%, so he sees himself as getting 2.5/1 to make the call. Heads up against a random hand he is only a 1.5/1 underdog. In fact against a strong Ace hes only a 1.5/1 underdog, and he still has tournament odds to call pairs less than 8.

He's led himself down a risky path by convincing himself you are on a steal, or at least pressing a marginal hand, but in fact, you were.

So instead of paranoid fantasies about things being rigged(and despite your protestations that you are only kidding, that is in the back of your mind) give him credit for a good read and the right play if he has confidence in his read.

NLfool
11-02-2003, 09:49 PM
is that where you spend most of your time now? I don't see you much at the NL games at party anymore. Though I think the fish have dried up at party considerably so I haven't been there much. As for the Pokerstars I honestly think any hand all in is ever more than a 60% favorite. I don't play stars and paradise anymore.

NLfool
11-02-2003, 11:30 PM
well he is one of the bigger winning NL players in my database