PDA

View Full Version : Am I a nut ?

BottlesOf
11-01-2003, 03:18 PM
I get A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif in early position.

UTG limps, I raise, folds around to BB who calls 2 cold, and UTG who calls. 3 to the flop.

Flop: 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checks to me, I bet, both call.

Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif [3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif]

Checks to me, I bet, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: K /images/graemlins/club.gif [9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif]

Checks to me, I bet, he calls, I win with pair of Kings, Ace kicker.

Did I just get really lucky?

Brian
11-01-2003, 03:22 PM
Hi Bottles,

When the BB calls one raise, it isn't the same as calling 2 cold. I would have bet the Flop and the Turn also, but checked through on the River unless an Ace or Queen hit. The fact that the top card on board paired makes checking even more correct. I don't think betting Ace high has much value there. Next time include what limits you are playing at and if you have any reads on the players please. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Brian

Redhotman
11-01-2003, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I get A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif in early position.

UTG limps, I raise, folds around to BB who calls 2 cold, and UTG who calls. 3 to the flop.

Flop: 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checks to me, I bet, both call.

Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif [3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif]

Checks to me, I bet, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: K /images/graemlins/club.gif [9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif]

[/ QUOTE ]
check river, he can only call u with hands that beat you...atleast most players will only call when you are beat.

mauisupaman
11-01-2003, 03:31 PM
Bottles,
Occasionally when the pot is heads up or at most 3 way after I raise PF I will hammer on the bets with A high when I have position. I do this for two reasons: 1. You will occasionally win with A high and a good kicker or you may get your opponents to fold without contest, and 2. more importantly you aren't neccessarily betting with the nut nothing for this hand, but you are setting yourself up for future hands. Meaning that if other players see you betting all the way without any piece of the board, they are more inclined to call you and pay you off all the way when you do have the goods.

BottlesOf
11-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Sorry, I rushed that post, I'm aware it wasn't 2 bets cold. It was Party 2/4. The only reason I bet the river here was with the hopes he'd fold. I've seen rocks call all the way down and fold to single bet on the river with some regularity. Thought it would work here based on what I'd seen of the player.

However, I think both of you are right, thanks for the input!

Aces McGee
11-01-2003, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only reason I bet the river here was with the hopes he'd fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

When deciding whether to bet, you need to ask yourself two things:

1)Will he fold a HAND THAT BEATS ME?
2) Will he call with a HAND I BEAT?

In this case, it's doubtful that you can answer "yes" to either, so don't bother betting.

Aces McGee

GuyOnTilt
11-01-2003, 03:44 PM

My guess is that you won with a pair of Kings, Queen kicker. Although your opponent might just be that looney.

Yes. Next time check it through.

BottlesOf
11-01-2003, 06:09 PM
This would mean I would have to fold to a river bet, correct?

Brian
11-01-2003, 08:52 PM
Hi Bottles,

No, this does not mean you should fold if he bet the River. In fact, if the action had gone exactly as you perscribed, I would have called the River for sure lacking a read on my opponent. Remember that no matter what street you are on, the top card on board pairing presents an excellent bluffing opportunity. Watch for it from your opponents, and (ab)use it yourself. Betting is much different in this situation than calling.

-Brian

BottlesOf
11-01-2003, 11:29 PM
Wasn't my bet on the river a bluff with the top board card pairing? I'm not sure I see why that second King falling means I should check, then call a bet?

Clarkmeister
11-01-2003, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
.... 2. more importantly you aren't neccessarily betting with the nut nothing for this hand, but you are setting yourself up for future hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. I know all sorts of otherwise winning players who never ever bet the river unimproved and this is an extremely exploitable strategy. You simply MUST bet the river here at least some of the time when unimproved. This particular board is an excellent one to do it with.

Brian
11-01-2003, 11:48 PM
Hi Bottles,

I don't think I really understand your question. What do you mean by "I should check, then call a bet?" You are in last position so you won't be checking and then calling a bet. Your check would close the action here and then it would be on to the showdown.

-Brian

[EDIT] Re-reading your post several times, I think your question was "Why would I check if he checked, but call a bet if he bet?" Let me know if that's what you meant.

As far as whether or not your bet on the River was a bluff, well, its not a very good one. Your "bluff" on the River here just won't work often enough to be profitable, IMO. Of course, it depends entirely on the opponent, but, lacking any reads, I definitely don't think you should bluff this River. What weaker hands are you hoping to get to fold by betting? The guy has come this far, so he probably has at least a pair or was on a draw. If he has a pair, it is VERY doubtful he would go all the way to the River just to fold for one more bet. If he was on a draw, your bet on the River hasn't accomplished anything, as he won't call you since he missed his draw, and your hand would've held up against his busted draw in a showdown.

So why would you check if he checked, and call if he bet? You would check if he checked because your bet on the end has no value, either as a value bet or as a bluff. There's no point in betting here with no cards left to come. However, you would call a bet because it is very possible that your opponent is bluffing; he could easily have been on a flush draw, missed, and now with the top card on board pairing he has decided to bet.

Let me know if my explanation was confusing or if you have any other questions.

-Brian

BottlesOf
11-02-2003, 12:12 AM
Your explanation was fine, I think I was confusing posted hands, which is why my question didn't make positional sense. Sorry about that.

mauisupaman
11-02-2003, 11:56 PM
Clark,
Of course it's an excellent point - I learned it from you.