PDA

View Full Version : was it correct to try a semi bluff here?

Noodles
11-01-2003, 08:20 AM
Not totally sure of what exactly a semi bluff is,i think my river and turn bets were,or are they bets for value.
the river bet was just a pure bluff

Paradise .50/1 tightish
I am in UTG+1 with Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Utg folds,i call,MP1 calls,button raises,blinds fold,Me and MP1 call

FLOP [ 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
I bet out,MP1 folds,Button calls.
Ok now i think button cant have a pair as he would have raised.

TURN J /images/graemlins/club.gif

Now i have a load of outs so i bet , he calls.

River [ 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]

Ouch,but i try a bet anyway ,he calls.

I thought the flop and turn bets were good,but what about the river bet,should i have just given up and checked?

rigoletto
11-01-2003, 09:30 AM
Hi Noodles

I like your flop bet because you might take the pot right there (this board is not likely to have hit anybody). I also think the turn bet is OK with the combination of all your outs and the chance that he'll fold a hand like AK (yes this is a semibluff).

Once he calls the turn you should check the river. There aren't really any hands he would call the turn with that he wouldn't also call the river with.

Noodles
11-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks,then what is a bet for value.
say it was the same hand on the turn but with 3 others in the pot,a bet from me would be a value bet if i know the 3 will call,correct? Can you explain the math of this?

Bob T.
11-01-2003, 11:19 AM
A bet for value, is a bet that you make, where you expect to be called, and you expect that you will profit from the call.

There are two main classes,

1 - When you have a made hand, and you expect that your hand will be good often enough that you will be better off betting, than checking.

2 - When you have a draw, and you expect that you will be called by enough people, so that you have positive expectation on the bet.