PDA

View Full Version : River vs Loose-passive

elindauer
11-01-2003, 02:59 AM
Party 1/2

A little background on the key villain... I post in the cutoff. Folded to me, I raise with K9. Loosey cold-calls. BB calls. Flop: A-rag-rag. Check, I bet, Loosey calls, BB folds. Turn: rag, pairs the board. I bet, loose calls. River, rag, puts trips on the board. I check, loose checks, my hand is good.

OK, I think to myself, loose and passive, just the way I like 'em. Loose continues to play this way, calling calling calling, until the following hand occurs:

I have TT. One limper to me in the cutoff. I raise. Loose 3-bets very quickly. Looks like he clicked the "raise any" button... uh oh. Everybody folds, I call.

Flop: 99x

I check-raise. Loose thinks and thinks. Booya I think to myself, AK. He calls. Turn: blank. I bet, he calls. I can see his AK as clearly as if it's face up on the table. River: K. I ... what?

tj00
11-01-2003, 03:13 AM
I would check fold the river. I think he had you beat before the K came with AA, KK, QQ maybe JJ and went into a shell after you CR the flop.

elindauer
11-01-2003, 03:23 AM
While thinking about this hand after the fact, I came to the same conclussion, that perhaps he actually had a big pair, and my check-raise convinced him that I had flopped trips.

I became convinced that my opponent was considering folding, which I couldn't imagine from a loose player with aces. The only hand I could imagine a loose player "raising any" preflop, and considering folding on the flop, was AK.

In retrospect, with the possible big pair in play, I wish I had check-folded. I didn't.

mauisupaman
11-01-2003, 06:44 AM
elindauer,
Was this guy loose and aggressive or loose and passive? If he was the former, I'd bet into him the whole way even when the K rivered. Sure he might have caught you this time, but if he's a true LAG his range of hands that he'll 3 bet PF should be significantly larger than yours. So, given a similar situation you'll probably have the better hand most of the time.

elindauer
11-01-2003, 07:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
elindauer,
Was this guy loose and aggressive or loose and passive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Loose and passive. Guess I should have mentioned that in the title. /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

elindauer
11-01-2003, 08:04 AM
I checked, and decided well... maybe he has AQ... made some lame pot-odds argument in my head, and called. He showed me AK. I felt good about my read, bad about my call.

Having reflected on the hand, I think I may have under-valued his likelihood of having a big pocket pair. I now think check-folding the river was probably the best play against this non-tricky opponent.