PDA

View Full Version : A follow-up post

Gomez22
11-01-2003, 12:44 AM
I posted a question about calling with unsuited connectors from the SB a few days ago, and this happened today which got me thinking.

I'm in BB with: 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, folded to button, who calls, SB folds, I check.

FLOP(4 SB): J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

It's checked around.

TURN(2 BB): Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG bets, MP1 calls, button calls, I call.

RIVER: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked around, UTG took it down with KQ.

My question: Is it ever OK to raise on the turn after picking up an open-ender? And if so, how many players do you need to make it "OK"? Should I have raised here, or was the call the correct play, figuring to try for a check-raise on the river if one of my cards comes because of my position or to simply bet out if one comes?

crockpot
11-01-2003, 12:50 AM
there is no reason to raise the turn here. you are more than a 3:1 dog to improve, and there is no chance everyone will fold.

if you wanted to bluff the river, you have just made the pot bigger and thus hurt your chances of getting away with it.

Mike Gallo
11-01-2003, 12:52 AM
Gomez,

Try it and find out. If you can win the pot right there with a raise, then go for it.

GuyOnTilt
11-01-2003, 01:00 AM
I'm assuming your asking about check-raising for value. If you are, you should be able to figure that out yourself. You have 8 clean outs, with 46 cards left, meaning you're a 4.75:1 dog to make your draw. So if there's a bet and 4 calls on the turn, go ahead and raise if you think the original bettor won't 3-bet and everybody else will call.

JTG51
11-01-2003, 01:01 AM
My question: Is it ever OK to raise on the turn after picking up an open-ender?

Absolutely, this isn't one of those times tough.

And if so, how many players do you need to make it "OK"?

You will miss your straight draw 4.75 times for every 1 time you hit it, so you are making money if you get 5 or more players to call your raise.

By the way, I would have bet the turn in your hand.

Gomez22
11-01-2003, 01:02 AM
I really don't think in this situation I could win the pot right there. I was just thinking that I was in position to trap players for another bet, which I would do on the flop with no hesitation, but on the turn is where I had the question. Usually when I have a good draw to the nuts or 2nd nuts on the flop, if I can trap, I trap and either raise from the button or LP or try for a check-raise. In this situation, I drew a draw to the nuts on the turn and didn't really think about raising, but instead, I thought of the ins and outs of doing it. Against 6 or more players already in, I may try it from the last to act, but with only 3 here, I thought it was prudent to just call. Sometimes situations like this just make me wonder and I post my thoughts, whether they be normal or idiotic. Or maybe just newbie-ish.

Yeknom58
11-01-2003, 01:05 AM
In the BB a turn raise can do you no good. A semi-bluff raise is only a good idea if you have a posibility to win the pot right there. In this situaion I think it's very unlikely you'll win the pot right there so a raise would be a bad idea. In addition, on party, I rarely see it get checked through on the flop so this means one of 2 things. Everyone has nothing or someone flopped set and is slowplaying. With that in mind if you wanted to raise for value on the turn there is a possibility it's going to go 3 bets trashing your odds.

Rather than checking the turn I would have bet. This would give you better information and might actually win the pot if in fact everyone has nothing.

Mike Gallo
11-01-2003, 01:09 AM
In the situation you described, I would not have raised.

To answer your question about ever raising an open ender then yes you should add that to your arsenal.

Keep posting Gomez.