PDA

View Full Version : Im struggling, hands from session:

Redhotman
11-01-2003, 12:28 AM
I have noticed that myself and others make several pointless posts that can be improved by simply posting hands for analysis.
--------------------------------
HAND #1
3/6 Loose BB 33
UTG+1, MP, Button, SB completes, I check

FLOP
3h 8h Kh
SB checks, I bet(Is this correct?), all fold except Button.

TURN
Tc
I bet, he calls (only $3.5 left)
RIVER
4h
I bet here(mistake?), He calls

Turns over Qh 8d for the win...
---------------------------------------------
HAND #2
3/6 Loose UTG+1 JhJd
I open with a raise. Is this correct should I limp reraise?
MP+1, MP+2, SB, BB all come along.

FLOP
Qs 5s 8d
I bet, MP Raises me, rest fold. I call. (Is this a 3-bet, he is a tight player and at this table thsi normally means he has something.)

TURN
6s
I check-fold
-----------------------------------------------------
HAND #3
3/6 Loose BB 5h3h
UTG+1, MP, Button, Sb completes, I check.

FLOP
Qh 4h Qd
Checked around

TURN
2h
I bet, folded to Button who raises. I 3-Bet. Right/Wrong?
He caps.

River
Tc
I check-call, He turns over Ah8h for the nut flush.
---------------------------------------------------
HAND #4
3/6 Loose 5s2s BB
UTG raises and 2 people cold-call it. SB folds. Do I call the raise? I'm getting 7.5 to see the flop.

----------------------------------------------------
HAND #5
3/6 Loose Qd Qc SB
UTG+1, UTG+2, MP, MP+1, Button, I decide to complete (Should I raise here? Why, why not?). BB checks.

FLOP
Ad 3h 7d
I check, Someone bets and there is a raise, alot of action shown. So I fold..At conclusion the Butt had A3o
------------------------------------------------
HAND #6
3/6 loose Ah Kd
I open raise from MP, LP calls, BB calls.

FLOP
Kh Th 3c
BB bets, I call(check-raise planned), Button Calls
TURN
Qh
BB bets. I think I'm probally drawing at this point so I call. Button Raises?? BB calls, I call.
RIVER
2c
checked to Button who bets, BB calls. I call(STUPID RIGHT??)

Button turns over AJ for straight.
------------------------------------------------------

crockpot
11-01-2003, 12:40 AM
hand 1: i think you played it well because the button is passive. if he was aggressive it might be right to check and call, hoping he will bluff with hands he would not have called with.

i say bet not because you expect to win most of the time, but because you would have to call anyway. in last position i would simply check.

hand 2: i generally limp with JJ in a loose game unless several people in front of me have all folded. the problem is you don't want to play the hand against two or three callers.

don't limp-reraise with JJ. you are unlikely to be more than a 55% favorite over a raising hand, and if there are other callers you don't want to put too much money in the pot preflop.

i would fold on the flop after you are raised, although the pot is big enough that it is not a terrible play to take a card off and hope to improve. still, you must consider that your diamond outs won't necessarily win, so it can't be a big mistake to fold.

hand 3: rather than reraise here, i would prefer to raise on the river if at all. he's more likely to have trip queens than a higher flush, but if he caps he should have you beaten, so you will not get more action this way than by raising on the river unless you are losing. this way you can also ditch it on the river cheaply if a Q, 4 or 2 hits, confident that you are losing.

hand 4: don't call. this hand is just too weak.

hand 5: i think your limp is reasonable. you won't get anyone out except maybe BB, you're out of position, and making the pot bigger may encourage people to chase their overcards if they miss the flop. this also makes it easier to check-raise should you like the flop.

hand 6: waiting to raise until the turn is fine. i would fold on the turn unless the button is particularly aggressive, as you likely have three outs to a straight that may not even win the pot, or may split it. i would definitely fold on the river after i fail to improve.

Mike Gallo
11-01-2003, 12:46 AM
Hand one you played fine except the river. You should have checked when the fourth suit hit.

Hand two, RAISE with Jacks.

Hand 3 I really do not like the way you played the hand at all.

Hand 4 I would fold in a second.

Hand 5 you should have raised somewhere along the way.

Posting hands will help you improve your game. You need to raise more and fold more. Limit the hands you cold call a raise with.

TazQ
11-01-2003, 12:50 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you seem to be making a lot of basic mistakes.

Have you thought about playing at the 1/2 tables and honing your skills before trying 3/6 again? Again, please don't take it the wrong way...but you just may be costing yourself more money than is needed trying to beat these tables where lots of people have trouble at. Of course ignore me and call me an idiot if you're beating the 3/6 games soundly. =]

Hand 1 - You just have to ask yourself, what has he been calling with that you can beat, and you can still expect to beat when he calls the river? Not much I'd say, I think you should check.

Hand 2 - I'd never even think about limp reraising with JJ. It's vulnerable to 3 overcards, you don't want to let in any people who play any ace for cheap. Raise it almost every time. You just described the player as tight, and you want to 3-bet him? I think I'd fold to a raise. You're only getting 13-1 to call his raise, not enough to hit your 2 outer if you're not planning to call down unimproved.

Hand 3 - Close to 3-betting and check calling it down. Just depends how passive/tight/loose the opponent is I think. That said, only hand that is going to raise the turn that you beat is a Qx.

Hand 4 - Very easy fold.

Hand 5 - Raise here every time. You almost are always going to have the best hand preflop, get the money in when you're ahead. Easy fold, someone definately has an Ace.

Hand 6 - You need to raise the flop. You don't want the button to see the turn cheaply if he is drawing, and better yet you want to give him the incorrect odds to draw if he decides to. Turn just killed your hand, this should be pretty obvious when butotn raises. Easy fold.

SoCalPat
11-01-2003, 12:57 AM
HAND 1: You have to bet out here. You have a very strong hand, you're probably ahead and you don't want any singleton hearts catching a free card. Not betting here is disastrous. If you really are behind, you've got outs to improve. Check-call the river.

HAND 2: You did fine. I wouldn't 3-bet a solid player with an overcard to my pair on the board.

HAND 3: Any other flush beats you, and he's showing strength by raising. Don't 3-bet here. Curse the poker gods for not giving you the 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif on the river, then check-call.

HAND 4: The only way I call a raise with this hand is if UTG raises and the entire table takes two cold and I get to close the betting from the BB. Your odds aren't anywhere near what you need for the dreck you have.

HAND 5: Raise preflop. You need to play your big hands fast, especially with several players who have limped in with dreck. Good fold on the flop.

HAND 6: You can't be thinking about check-raising the turn when the flop brings such a highly coordinated board. Think of all the cards people would reasonably call a raise with, then compare them to the flop. Not too appealing, right? Draws are lurking out there. Raise the flop. The river overcall was, as you say, stupid on your part.

In short, you're getting some good hands and flops, but you're hesistant to play them strong. If you truly believe the table is loose, quit trying for fancy plays (a la Hand 6) and looking for monsters under the bed (Hand 1).

Redhotman
11-01-2003, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you seem to be making a lot of basic mistakes.

Have you thought about playing at the 1/2 tables and honing your skills before trying 3/6 again? Again, please don't take it the wrong way...but you just may be costing yourself more money than is needed trying to beat these tables where lots of people have trouble at. Of course ignore me and call me an idiot if you're beating the 3/6 games soundly. =]

Hand 1 - You just have to ask yourself, what has he been calling with that you can beat, and you can still expect to beat when he calls the river? Not much I'd say, I think you should check.

Hand 2 - I'd never even think about limp reraising with JJ. It's vulnerable to 3 overcards, you don't want to let in any people who play any ace for cheap. Raise it almost every time. You just described the player as tight, and you want to 3-bet him? I think I'd fold to a raise. You're only getting 13-1 to call his raise, not enough to hit your 2 outer if you're not planning to call down unimproved.

Hand 3 - Close to 3-betting and check calling it down. Just depends how passive/tight/loose the opponent is I think. That said, only hand that is going to raise the turn that you beat is a Qx.

Hand 4 - Very easy fold.

Hand 5 - Raise here every time. You almost are always going to have the best hand preflop, get the money in when you're ahead. Easy fold, someone definately has an Ace.

Hand 6 - You need to raise the flop. You don't want the button to see the turn cheaply if he is drawing, and better yet you want to give him the incorrect odds to draw if he decides to. Turn just killed your hand, this should be pretty obvious when butotn raises. Easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
I respect your criticism. However, I disagree on one point.
With QQ in SB,what do I gain by raising preflop? No one is going to fold, I am in the worst position. When the flop comes everyone will be correct to call just about anything.

Redhotman
11-01-2003, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand one you played fine except the river. You should have checked when the fourth suit hit.

Hand two, RAISE with Jacks.

Hand 3 I really do not like the way you played the hand at all.

Hand 4 I would fold in a second.

Hand 5 you should have raised somewhere along the way.

Posting hands will help you improve your game. You need to raise more and fold more. Limit the hands you cold call a raise with.

[/ QUOTE ]
How would u play #3

TazQ
11-01-2003, 01:29 AM
QQ is the 3rd best hand in Hold'em, you should be trying to pump that pot up as much as you can preflop.

Ya, sometimes an Ace or a King will come up on the flop and you'll have to throw it away, but more often than not you'll have a very strong hand (either an overpair or a set) and will win a nice pot. If you won't raise with QQ, what will you raise with?

JTG51
11-01-2003, 01:32 AM
Everyone that said to check call the river in hand 1 is wrong, unless you have reason to believe that your opponent will bluff a lot.

You should bet. The opponent is likely to call with a lot of hands that he won't bet himself. Put another way, he'll have you beaten a higher percentage of the time when he bets than when you bet and he calls. He may call you with just a K or 2 pair, but he's not going to bet those hands once you check. Again, this is all assuming he won't bluff the river often when you check.

Redhotman
11-01-2003, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
QQ is the 3rd best hand in Hold'em, you should be trying to pump that pot up as much as you can preflop.

Ya, sometimes an Ace or a King will come up on the flop and you'll have to throw it away, but more often than not you'll have a very strong hand (either an overpair or a set) and will win a nice pot. If you won't raise with QQ, what will you raise with?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no problem raising with QQ. I have a problem raising it preflop from the SB with 5 limpers and a BB I know will call. This raise does nothing but give everyone correct odds to call the flop with several different hands.
I agree with Crock, the play here is to limp and then check-raise the flop if its applicable.

JTG51
11-01-2003, 01:55 AM
I'm not going to get into this debate again, but here's (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=301785&page=&view=&sb =5&o=) a long, long thread about almost the same situation. It was raising JJ from the SB after 4 limpers in that case, but the ideas still apply.

Redhotman
11-01-2003, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to get into this debate again, but here's (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=301785&page=&view=&sb =5&o=) a long, long thread about almost the same situation. It was raising JJ from the SB after 4 limpers in that case, but the ideas still apply.

[/ QUOTE ]
okay, will look into it.

Mike Gallo
11-01-2003, 12:01 PM
Redhot,

I would have gone to showdown however I would not have had much confidence in my hand. Take your foot off the gas.

Eihli
11-01-2003, 12:28 PM
So what is the verdict? Both sides make good points.

JTG51
11-01-2003, 01:28 PM
I was, and probably always will be on the side of raising. If you think both sides make good arguments, you'll have to make up your own mind.

Mike Gallo
11-01-2003, 01:44 PM
I will raise from the sb with Jacks or Queens almost every time.

I do not think I can make an argument for just completing.

Guido
11-02-2003, 08:14 AM
I have only one thing to add to this thread. Don't fold the turn in hand 6. Here are two quotes from this thread:

[ QUOTE ]
i would fold on the turn unless the button is particularly aggressive, as you likely have three outs to a straight that may not even win the pot, or may split it

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Turn just killed your hand, this should be pretty obvious when butotn raises. Easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is an easy call, you have outs for the nut flush and a possible Royal Flush!!! Am I missing something? Off course he should have folded the river.

Thanks,

Guido

Louie Landale
11-02-2003, 11:09 AM
[1] Bet on the end only if you think your hand is worth checking and calling, but you figure he'll call with more hands then he'd bet. Of if he'll fold a weak heart. That's a tough estimation and unlikely.

[2] Limp reraising is for the birds. The flop call (of the raise) is probably a long-term loser, but I like it since if forces players to risk 3sb (he has to follow through with a turn bet) to bluff instead of just 1sb.

[3] Tough 3-bet. Even if he has a Q you gain only 3/4ths of a bet.
And you are risking 2bets. This is a reasonable raise if you can confidently fold to a 4-bet. Betting the flop is an option against these few players.

[4] Fold.

[5] The "Butt" is really the guy that gives away his money when you have AQ. I would raise PF. Pretty routine fold on the flop.

[6] You cannot get away from your strong hand if someone outdraws you. You have no reason to be "tricky". The guy behind you can EASILY have a hand worth calling one bet (like AQ, AJ, AT, QJ, JT) but not two bets. He may call two bets anyway. Raise.

- Louie