PDA

View Full Version : In a funk and this hand proves it

Gomez22
10-31-2003, 10:35 PM
Lately I feel like I've been in a funk...... whether it be because it seems the good cards are few and far between, or because I just don't feel real aggressive and the "go-getter" type at the table. I've been having more than my fair share of suckouts, and always manage to win at least 1-2 big pots to make winning sessions out of otherwise worthless ones. Anyways, I thought I would post one of my more "stellar" hands played today for comments/beatdowns.

Party .50/1.00 typical table (I've won 1 hand in 48 to this point for 5BB and am back to my initial buy-in of $25 after being blinded to death. Seen 14% of flops and can't remember what exactly "paint" is.)

I'm in BB with... you got it: 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, folded to CO+1 who calls, CO folds, button calls, SB completes, I check.

FLOP (6 SB): K /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked around.

TURN (3 BB): 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, I bet, UTG raises, folded to button, who calls, SB folds, I reraise, UTG caps, button folds, I call. I was thinking with the first time he raised, it might be for AK or KQ and he tried to get a check-raise in on the flop and everybody missed. Then I thought maybe he had A7, then as the river was dealt, it hit me...........

RIVER: 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, he bet, I called.
He showed K9 for the flopped top-2.

My question: Where did I go wrong? Should I have folded to his first raise? Or did I play this correct? For some reason, I can't think I did it well, but with the flop checked around, I thought when he raised, at first, it was for a AK or KQ. Comments?

SoCalPat
10-31-2003, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't have 3-bet the turn. There's too much out there that can beat you. And I would never put anyone showing aggression on the turn on a slowplayed top pair on the flop.

Hellrazor
10-31-2003, 10:44 PM
Hey there. Just to preface that this may or may not be the right advice - I'm a total newb myself but maybe someone will correct me so we both can learn better. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anyway - Flop - fine
Turn - don't re-raise here - depending on your read on the player -either fold or call. Play looks like he either flopped top two or a set and did the LL slow play move.
As I said it depends on the caller. If he was a decent pre-flop player I would put him on a set of 9's or k's. Either way - no way i raise here - probably fold (weak?)

That being said if you stay in, call em down crying all the way.

Gomez22
10-31-2003, 10:52 PM
I was crying all right. And this player was something of a weirdo... I saw him call down with absolutely nothing before, he was a habitual blind-stealer, and capped betting PF once with K10o from UTG. Other than that, nothing unusual, besides he played ALL suited cards. The thought of K9 didn't really hit me until the river card came, and I was crying like a little girl. I guess personally, I just can't see calling from UTG w/K9o.... I was putting him on much better hands than Party players play from UTG.

crockpot
10-31-2003, 11:28 PM
i don't like the three bet on the turn, and i would have considered folding unless this player was unusually aggressive. when someone makes an unusual play like this, you have to ask yourself: did the turn card make his hand? here, if the 7 did anything for him, he has a better hand than you now. more likely, since the 7 appears like a blank, he has flopped two pair or a set and slowplayed it.

one of the hardest things for a new player to learn is how to recognize and counter a slowplay. i think i'll write my website's next essay about this.

i do not think that most players understand the idea of going for a check raise with AK or KQ on that flop, so unless i knew this person to be a good player i wouldn't give them credit for making that play.

Gomez22
10-31-2003, 11:51 PM
I can see the mistakes I made now. Maybe I gave the guy TOO much credit for thinking he had AK or KQ, rather than the K9, I mean, how many players here would honestly play K9 from UTG? But... this hand was entirely my fault. I shoulda seen it coming before the river, but I didn't, and I'm getting better at reads, but this was one fo those times where I was dead wrong. But hey...... at least I check/called the river.....(that was supposed to be funny).
Thanks to all who replied. I AM getting better, I promise.

Mike Gallo
11-01-2003, 12:06 AM
Where did I go wrong?

Not thinking what your opponent had that beat you on the turn, going to war with 2 7 on the turn with a semi coordinated board.

Other than that I think you played it ok.