PDA

View Full Version : Am I passing on too many hands?

Fatz
10-31-2003, 04:44 PM
As a newbie that has read Lee Jones a couple times and starting HE for Advanced Players, I've been playing lots of hands on PartyPoker.com [approx. 3700 raked pluse about 30 $5 tourneys (placed in about half)] and have been struggling with discipline and getting better at reading the board. My question now is, am I passing on too many hands? Just last night on $.5/$1 I hand a flop in mid position - 56sDia; flop comes 47sDia 8spade; 4th street 8dia - straight flush. I passed on the hand as I've been passing on low connecters even suited in mid position. 5 in to see the flop, 4 on 4th street and on river pot closed at $15 [could have bumped it to $22 or $25 with the aggressive players there].

I ask because I'm concerned that I've gone from struggling to be disciplined to going to the opposite extreme. Find myself going from blind to blind very often without playing a hand at all. The night was actually good - from a budget of $15 closed out at $84 but feel I could have done better.

Thanks for any feedback - hope I posed my question coherently

Ron

Mike Gallo
10-31-2003, 04:46 PM
Welcome aboard Fatz,

Dont become results oriented. I would not play 45 soooted from middle position.

Find myself going from blind to blind very often without playing a hand at all.

Most likely that means you played well.

Post some specific hands.

Fatz
10-31-2003, 04:58 PM
Specific Hands:
played pairs down to 55; A7 and above suited; KAs - TAs; connectors from 98s or T9o - these are in midposition; late added pairs to 33, connectors from 87s or 98o - early position tight as an unwilling virgin

Only raises on the flop are in late position with KK, KAs, AA, QAs; mid only with AA or KK - otherwise limp in

Thanks for taking the time to respond - really helps!!

Aces McGee
10-31-2003, 05:01 PM
Hi Fatz

I think MG in NJ meant you should post some actual hands that you've played (with all the betting action) to help us help you with your game.

But while I'm here...I think you are playing too many offsuit connectors. I certainly don't play T9o from anywhere outside the blinds, and am not crazy about JTo and QJo, either.

Aces McGee

Fatz
10-31-2003, 05:04 PM
cool - i'll get some better hand info up when i get home; as for the connectors, you're right that's where i lost the bulk of the hands in a manner that felt like a begger! i left some in because i was having such a hard time staying disciplined but you're right and tonight will find me tighter and hopefully heavier.

thanks!

Mike Gallo
10-31-2003, 05:08 PM
Suited connectors fine, suited gapped connectors...ahh..offsuit connectors not so fine.

You might just need to tighten up a hair preflop.

canoekayak
10-31-2003, 05:19 PM
I think the best advice I've gotten (which came from this group) was that 90% of the money you win is going to come from your premium hands. (or something like that) 56s from the middle, isn't premium.

Though its still tough to muck 56s pre flop only to see it flop a complete hand. Even if you stayed in and took that pot, you will wind up giving it back by playing 56s from middle in the future. At least thats what I keep telling myself, so I don't start playing garbage because I missed a big hand once.

Todd.