PDA

View Full Version : 2 problem hands and 2 Did I play correctly hands

JDErickson
10-31-2003, 01:07 PM
All microlimit Stars.

#1 (9 handed)

I'm dealt Kh Ac UTG and open raise. 4 fold, 4 call.

Flop: 8h 7c Td

SB check, I bet, call, MP raises, called around.

Turn: Ad

Sb check, I bet, fold, MP raises, LP calls, SB calls, I call, EP calls.

River: 3h

SB check, I check, Mp bets, Sb folds, I call

Hand 2 (10 handed)

I'm dealt Ks As in MP. 4 callers, I raise, fold, call, fold, SB folds, BB call, others call. 7 to the flop

Flop: 4h Td 7h

4 check, I bet, called around to EP who folds and Mp who folds. 5 to the Turn

Turn: 6c

Checked around

River: 7d

checked to me, I check, MP bets, folded to LP who calls, everyone else, including me folds.

Hand 3: (10 handed)

I'm dealt Qd Qh in the BB. 6 callers to me and I check. 7 to the flop.

Flop: Qc 4d Ac

I bet out and get 4 callers. 5 to the Turn

Turn: Qs

I check, Mp bets, 1 fold. called to me, I call.

River: 6c (love this card)

I check, Mp bets, LP raises, I 3 bet. 2 fold, LP calls.

Hand 4 (9 handed). I had just posted at this table.

I'm dealt 4h 5s in the LP. 2 check to me, I check, 1 check, SB and BB come along. 6 to the flop

Flop: 7s 6h 8d

SB and BB check, EP bets, LEP call, I raise, Mp fold, SB and BB call, EP 3 bets, LEP folds, I cap, called around.

Turn: Ac

SB and BB check, EP bets, I raise, SB calls, BB folds, EP 3 bets, I cap, called around.

River: Kc
SB and EP check, I bet, they both fold /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Comments:

Hand 1 and 2. AK killing me last night. How do you handle a dead flop with AK?

Hand 3: Could I have done better here?

Hand 4: What did EP have to play this way?

Thanx
Jim

Homer
10-31-2003, 01:23 PM
Hand 1 - Check-fold the flop. It missed you completely and certainly hit someone else, as the cards are in and around the playing zone and are coordinated.

Hand 2 - The flop missed you completely. Take the freebie.

Hand 3 - Raise preflop against 6 opponents. Against a couple less perhaps there is something to be said for checking preflop and check-raising the flop, but against this many opponents you're giving up too much EV by not raising. I got excited when you checked the turn, but then you only called when it came back to you. You HAVE to raise here. Don't worry, no one knows you have quads, you'll get called by both opponents. By waiting, you're just asking for a weak-Ace, worse made hand or busted draw to check it through on the river. You were lucky that your money card came this time.

Hand 4 - You should slow down when EP three-bets the turn, unless he is a maniac. Given the way you played the hand, you have an easy bet on the river. I have no idea what EP had -- 9x?

-- Homer

Bob T.
10-31-2003, 02:23 PM
1 - The guideline when you miss, is against two or fewer opponets, continue to play AK aggressive postflop, until you meet resistance, against four or more, you play passively postflop, and against 3 you try and use your judgement.

2 - I assume you are talking about your QQ hand. Having middle set, and spiking quads, you haven't crippled the deck, so I would continue to bet, if I had top set and made Quads, I would then think about slowplaying.

3 - I think A9, flopping a OESD, making top pair on the turn, either that, or he left the computer to answer the doorbell, and his 6 year old took over.

JTG51
10-31-2003, 02:35 PM
Hands 1 and 2:

You don't have to bet the flop just because you rasied preflop. Betting A high against 4 or 5 opponents is generally bad.

Hand 3:

You'll probably do better in the long run by betting the turn and collecting one more bet from everyone that is drawing dead and won't call a river bet with a busted draw.

Once you checked though, check raising is much better than just calling. Again, that's your last chance to collect from the draws if they miss on the river. Not raising opponents who are drawing, and will pay for their draw is a crime. You don't get a lot of chances to collect multiple bets from multiple opponents who are drawing dead in poker, take advantage when you do.

Hand 4:

EP probably had just a 9 and was jamming his draw. I'd definitely slow down when he 3-bets the turn though.

JDErickson
10-31-2003, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
either that, or he left the computer to answer the doorbell, and his 6 year old took over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this.

Concerning the QQ hand. I definately see where I errored here. At the time I was thinking about keeping as many in as possible to the end but did not consider the busted draws on the River. Another problem I had was I was trying to make a quick decision instead of thinking it through and possibly giving people a tell when the 4th Q fell. Lesson learned.

On the Straight hand my thinking was I had just sat down and this was my first hand and this guy just thought I was a maniac. I honestly don't think he had much of anything as later he played the same way with any two cards. I think he was just trying to make sure I didn't run over the table.

Thanx
Jim