PDA

View Full Version : Wetlands Pollute..?! What's happened to the EPA?

Graham
10-31-2003, 12:49 PM
This is crazy...what's happening to the EPA? Some folk'll believe the public can swallow anything.
The trouble is, often they do.

The EPA is in danger of becoming a sham. It's being hijacked from it's original mission by appointments at the higher echelons (including the recently appointed boss of the whole organisation, who's seen as just a business interests stooge). And now this...

Wetlands pollute..?! (http://www.peer.org/press/403.html)

I'm not even american, but this sort of shite makes me mad wherever it happens. /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Better if the EPA comes off the rails completely and get's disbanded if this is what's in store, It's original honourable purpose is to critically appraise and ensure standards, rather than be the foil used simply to justify and whitewash developments to the greater public.

So sad.

Ed I
10-31-2003, 01:59 PM
You might find Science Under Siege: The Politicians' War on Nature and Truth by Todd Wilkinson to be of interest.

Zeno
10-31-2003, 02:05 PM
From the article:

[ QUOTE ]
Wetlands generate pollution, based upon sampling collected in wetlands next to highways and bridges;

[/ QUOTE ]

Samples collected next to highways and bridges will contain all the chemicals and materials that occur from road runoff. This is actually a substantial amount of pollution, depending on the amount of road traffic of course, but over time many chemicals association with gasoline, diesel, antifreeze, motor oil, transmission and power steering fluids, and sundry other products builds up near highways. And since most wetlands are very slow moving or even stagnate water systems, the build up can be appreciable.

And wetlands contain naturally occurring chemicals and gases association with breakdown of organic materials.

But the report is no surprise to me. Expect more of the same. Not to worry – in the grand scheme of human stupidity this is way down the scale.

-Zeno

Graham
10-31-2003, 03:47 PM
Samples collected next to highways and bridges will contain all the chemicals and materials that occur from road runoff. This is actually a substantial amount of pollution...

Exactly. The cited study is a load of bollocks because of this. But it's not just accidental bollocks; it's engineered bollocks, with the intent to mislead, and the EPA highers up accepted this (undoubtedly in full knowledge of it's flawed nature) to ratify developments in wetland areas. This makes the EPA severely flawed, imo.

G

MMMMMM
10-31-2003, 04:30 PM
Too many people...the world has too many people.

brad
11-01-2003, 05:37 AM
its documented the epa lied about nyc being air pollution ok after 911.

in fact air was very toxic around ground zero especially and nothing was done especially for firefighters, rescuers, etc. , in the clean up and aftermath.