PDA

View Full Version : Tight Low-Limit Games? - Any Tips?

blubster
10-31-2003, 06:54 AM
I've been finding myself in relatively tight low limit games lately where often only 3 or 4 people are seeing the flop.

In late position should I be playing hands like K9o, Q9o, J9o, T9o?

If so, is there maybe other hands I should be playing besides the obvious?

In one Sklanky book I read I should play hands like these in late position but in another it said not to play hands like this in "double blind" structure games so am a bit confused. I play double blind structure since I play mostly online. That's whats most common right?

Just wanted to get some feedback if I should be playing these hands in a game like this and perhaps other hands?

Thanks
blubster

crockpot
10-31-2003, 07:16 AM
In late position should I be playing hands like K9o, Q9o, J9o, T9o?

no, no, no, and no. it is really hard to envision a game where these hands are playable. true, i would rather play them in a tight game than a loose game, but still, the hands figure to be so far behind the average starting hand of the opponents that your good position won't make up for it.

i really wish sklansky would just rewrite hold 'em poker for the double blind structure so all the comments about the cursory update can be silenced. frankly it surprises me that 2+2 won't go to the efforts to right this.

Nottom
10-31-2003, 09:38 AM
Playing trash isn't going to help you in a tighter game. You should be more apt to raise when first in the pot preflop since you may atually have a shot at taking the blinds. Semibluffs begin to be more useful and you need to be a bit more cautious with your value bets on the end if you opponents are playing reasonable starters.

TheRake
10-31-2003, 10:00 AM
Blubster
IMHO...I don't think you can lower your starting hand standards. A tight game, by it's nature, means your opponents are playing better starting hands. Also I don't think it necesarily means playing more aggressive pre-flop. I try to play more aggressive post flop. Even when the flop doesn't hit you there is a decent chance you may be able to use a bluff or semi bluff to win the pot if it also missed your opponent. This being said, if you bluff at a pot and are called or raised you can be fairly sure your opponent has a reasonable hand and you can safely lay your hand down if you have little chance to improve.

TheRake