PDA

View Full Version : I win the Weak Tight award for the week.

BigEndian
10-31-2003, 02:18 AM
Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has Ac, Kh and is EP2

UTG calls, EP1 folds, Hero raises, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB raises, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, Button calls

Flop(16 SB): Jc, Ah, 6c

SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls

Turn(10.5 BB): 5d

SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls, Button folds, SB raises, UTG calls, Hero folds, MP1 calls

River(17.5 BB): Kd

SB bets, UTG calls, MP1 folds

Go me. Feel free to lavish all appropriate admonishments. The reason I folded was I felt fairly sure the raisor had a set. Pitifull excuse if there ever was one.

- Groove

chesspain
10-31-2003, 02:43 AM
Although your play looks weak-tight on the surface, it may well be a good laydown. Indeed, SB three-bet PF after a raiser and two coldcallers, and then checkraises on a raggedy turn card which completes the rainbow. Unless he is an idiot or a maniac, his play certainly screams "I can beat TP/TK."

The pot is not offering you the odds to draw to what may only be a two outer, at best. In fact, you may be drawing dead to AA. Let the fish and the possible flush draws pay to see the river.

tpir90036
10-31-2003, 03:33 AM
not a pitiful excuse at all if you had some sort of read on the situation. if the turn would have been the king and you still folded....then it would be weak (unless you knew 100% that this player 3-bets *only* with AA or KK).

maybe he waited to check-raise the turn with JJ or 3-bet with 55 preflop. or maybe he is a flush draw maniac and 3-bet with A5s from the SB. sounds like a few of those choices are in left field, but i have seen all of them on party. i had someone cap pre-flop against my KK today with 88 and call me all the way down with an A-K-9-9-3 board.

anyway, next hand....

Festus22
10-31-2003, 09:07 AM
Tough one.

I had almost the EXACT same situation last night. Raised A-Ko MP, one or 2 callers, SB 3-bet. Flop had an ace. SB check/called my bet and then check-raised me after a blank hit the turn. The others had folded the flop so we were heads up. I waivered because that turn raise does indeed sometimes indicate a slow-played monster but not enough times that I think folding is automatic, especially given the pot size. I called him down and he showed A-Qs. From his perspective, he beats a lot of hands I could have had.

BigEndian
10-31-2003, 09:44 AM
I agree that a set is very possible. Without being results-oriented like I was last night, I would say now that this was a marginal fold/call situation - leaning toward fold.

His most probable hands are badly played AA, JJ and AJ. Though he could have check-raised the blank on the turn with a badly played KK, QQ or another big A.

And a small set is also possible if he was jacking the pot PF to make it juicy if he hit his set. Check-raising a flush draw is a small possibility.

The only hand my opponent might have out of the three most likely that I am barely getting odds to draw out on is AJ with 17-1 pot odds and 15-1 card odds. JJ is not getting the right odds and AA draws dead like you said.

In the end, he flipped AJ. Interesting that someone who thinks they can play AJs - not the flush draw suit - well enough to raise PF with a lot of callers would play the flop so badly when their flush missed.

- Groove