PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the play

BradG
10-30-2003, 06:06 PM
Pot limit holdem at my club.
5 - 5 blinds.
I have about $1150
KQ of spades on SB
first player in raises to $20 (this is a fairly tight player who is on a short stack, about $450)
two late position callers
I call (4 players total)
flop Jc 9s 8s
Pre flop raiser bets $50 (into $85 pot)
Two players between us fold
I call $50 (now there is $185)
I call with the intent of betting if spade or 10 hits, and possibly checkraising if a 7 hits (depending on the amount of his bet).
7d on turn.
I check, he bets $100 (about half the pot).
I call time. I figure him for a big pocket pair.
I check raise the pot ($485 straight).
He lays it down.

did I play it right?
Thanks for your help

crockpot
10-30-2003, 11:23 PM
postflop, i think you played it well, and it's good to see you taking advantage of a player that you have good control over.

preflop, calling a tight raiser with KQs out of position is generally not a good play. i'd do it only if i anticipated being able to easily outplay the opposition as you did here.

1800GAMBLER
10-31-2003, 11:27 AM
I'm losing a lot of money on checkraise bluffs when i read their hand right but am wrong in thinking they are able to lay it down. So be sure the player is able.

In this case i'd fold preflop and checkraise the flop for a large amount.

tewall
10-31-2003, 11:52 AM
The pre-flop call seems fine to me. In fact, if I'm reading everything right, there's $70 in the pot and it only costs you $15 to call, so I don't see how you could possibly fold.

I think there's several ways to play this hand. You could lead out with it on the flop and I like Jay's suggestion of check-raising. The advantage of check-raising is you might get a free card, and by raising you get more money in when your hand is stronger, with 2 cards to come. I like this way of playing when there's a decent chance that the c/r will win the pot right away.

The way you played it obviously worked. I wonder if asking for time had any impact. That is, if it might have been better to have immediately made the check/raise, given that's what you were thinking of doing anyway, or if asking for time might have actually worked to your benefit.

Zag
10-31-2003, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In this case i'd fold preflop and checkraise the flop for a large amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! Why would you checkraise after you had already folded? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, I like the call preflop, but only because it closes the action. I think it is an easy fold if there is even one more person to act after you.

There are a lot of ways to play this, and no one of them is always right. I agree that the checkraise on the flop is the "best" play, in that it is the one I would do most often, but I would sometimes play it the way the original poster did, and sometimes call the flop and fold the turn.

For the original poster, I do like that on the flop, you had already planned what you would do on the turn in several different cases. However, I don't understand why you then had to go into a huddle when one of them came up.

tewall
10-31-2003, 12:14 PM
"Wow! Why would you checkraise after you had already folded?"

I was also impressed with this.