PDA

View Full Version : 56s on BB against a steal

Brian
10-30-2003, 05:45 PM
Hi everyone,

Party 5/10 table. The player in question is ultra aggressive when he has a playable hand, but his definition of playable is definitely a lot different from ours (re: loose). You know, the type of player who loves the check-raise and will do it with his best and worst hands. This player also pretty much only has to have any 2 cards to steal.

I am dealt 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the BB. Folded to the Button, the player described above, who raises. I call.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I consider check raising, but this guy will play back at me with anything, and I am pretty sure I want to take my pair to the showdown. Is this wrong? Should I not invest any more money in such a small pot? I mean, I figure I have a pretty decent shot at having the best hand; he could have anything from KK to 22 here. I decide my best course of action is to check-call it down. If I'm beaten, I'll only lose more money by not check-calling, and if I am ahead, then I encourage him to bluff to the very end.

I check and call his bet.

Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check and call.

River: J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check call.

Results later.

-Brian

Festus22
10-30-2003, 05:55 PM
You beat A-x where x doesn't = 5 or 9 or you beat 8 high.

Ugh! Maybe without the broadway cards on the flop.

Why not check-raise?

pufferfish
10-30-2003, 07:53 PM
You know, the type of player who loves the check-raise and will do it with his best and worst hands.

For some reason this got me thinking about a different type of player. This type always slow-plays his best hands and always plays his draws/crap hands fast. Ever notice that type?

As far as the hand goes, I’m not sure it’s worth it. But if he is a regular or you think he’ll be there for a while, you may derive some benefit even if you loose the hand.

TC,
pf