PDA

View Full Version : Quiz: Losing confidence ... ?

10-04-2001, 09:07 AM
Have you lost - not only in the games - but also your confidence - here is a quiz for you:

Why would it probably be a mistake to re-raise several

times after the final card if you held 10-J in your hand and the board showed 7-8-9-9-9?

(A) Because re-raising several times is almost always wrong. Say you raise someone, s/he raise you back, you raise him and s/he raise you back again, you have to assume you have the inferior hand.

(B) Because with three nines on the board, anyone with a pair in his hand (e.g., 3-3) or with a seven or eight in their hand (e.g., A-7 or K-8) now has a full house and anyone with a nine in his hand now has a four of a kind.

(C) It probably would not be a mistake, because a straight is a very strong hand.

(D) It would only be a mistake if there were also three of the same suit on the board, because then it would be possible for your opponent to have a flush.

--

If you have trouble to figure out the right answer go to http://www.ultimatebet.com/community/poker_quiz.html !

If you have trouble to figure out the right answer there may be a good reason why you are losing !

10-05-2001, 03:51 PM
The answer has got to be A. If you don't have the nuts, bet, get raised, then you reraise and get raised again, you are probably beat. If you raise again and get reraised yet again, and you still haven't learned your lesson, you are probably on tilt.

While B could be the answer, really, I don't think you have to go past A to find enlightenment... make the crying call and then get on with the next hand. However, if you are raising your straight on that board, perhaps you should do some more thinking about choice B. Ignoring the obvious is hazardous to your stack.

If you chose C or D, you are a fish.

Dave in Cali

10-06-2001, 01:11 AM
I pick "A"

my 10 J suited just happens to be in the same suit as the 7 and 8, as well as one of the 9's :-)