PDA

View Full Version : Another Hold'em Tournament at the Belle

FeliciaLee
10-30-2003, 05:35 PM
Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Tonight we played the Belle's $100+10 Limit to No-limit hold'em tourney.

My table lineup for the tourney was pretty good. The one seat was a tight player who had been asking tons of questions about the tournament before we started. I had a feeling that he was new to tourneys, yet this wasn't his very first one.

The two seat was extremely new. He had obviously never played a tourney before. He never caught on to the blinds, the betting, etc. He was a little drunk, but nice, and very innocent.

I was in the three seat.

The four seat was Sammy, the rammer-jammer dealer I played against in the Riverboat Classic tournament I wrote about on October 1st.

The five seat was an Elizabeth Taylor lookalike. Elizabeth these days, heavy, with dyed black "big" hair. She seemed very sweet, but never really spoke.

The six seat was an older man, a calling station.

The seven seat was the only other experienced tournament player at our table. He was very talkative and obviously found our little tourney "small potatoes." I knew he was the one to beat.

Seat eight was a man I'd never seen before. He was a caller.

Seat nine was Jim II, the guy I spoke about in one of my 10/20 stories. The freelance writer. His wife had just hit the bad beat jackpot that morning, to the tune of about $28,000 (for the losing hand). So he was living it up.

I played my usual tight, tight, tight method. I got a few pots, but they were mostly small, just the way I like them, during the first hour.

Starting at 8pm, we went to no-limit. This is when I really start to play. I was dealt 53o in the big blind. I got a free play and flopped 55J. I caught a lucky break because the five seat Elizabeth Taylor lady bet out of turn (about 300, I believe). I had the dealer back up and I did my own acting job. I finally checked, knowing she would buy it, and she immediately bet out. All passed to me. I check-raised all-in for about 1500. She pondered, but called, like I knew she would, and I doubled up.

In another big blind hand I was dealt Q6o. We were head's up. I flopped a queen and check-raised. He immediately folded.

I stole a few blinds and had 3100 chips when we reached the final table.

We drew for seats and I got the lucky nine seat. The other "good" tourney player from my last table got the two seat. He and I were close in chips. A decent newbie tourney player was in seat four. Larry was in seat seven with a medium stack. Chris was in seat eight, to my right. Glenn, my husband, was in seat ten with a medium stack.

The top four got paid, with first place being 50%.

I got dealt absolutely nothing, and had to fold hand after hand. Not even free plays in the big blind brought me any flop. I had the worst hands imaginable. I wasn't able to steal with any of these hands, as the pot has either already been raised, or I still had the hyper-aggressive two seat left to act after me. I thought I would start catching cards, but I was wrong.

The unmentioned seats started busting out fast. We were losing players quickly, due to the hyper-aggressive nature of the two seat. I let him steal my blinds. I couldn't defend with the junk I was dealt. I hated being put in this passive, timid position, but I literally had nothing to stand on.

Glenn pushed all-in several times and either doubled up, or stole the pot. Glenn has taken to wearing headphones and listening to music at the table. This has helped his game tremendously. No longer does he act hesitant and shy. He doesn't let the other player's comments affect him anymore, and plays more aggressive poker. I am very happy that he found a way around the problems that he was having in tourneys and cash games.

Chris made a few good moves and kept a decent stack. He and I were neither catching good cards, and felt a little bound by the big stacks.

Larry went all-in with A9 vs. TT and got eliminated. We were down to five.

The two seat had become so aggressive, and knocked out so many players, that he was far and away the biggest stack. The four seat raised as a semi-steal with KQs. Glenn was in the small blind and went over the top, all-in, with AKo. The aggressive two seat was in the big blind and folded. Glenn spiked an ace, and we four were all in the money.

I had been badly blinded down from my original 3100. I was down to about 1500 in the SB when I finally caught a hand, JJ. It was passed to me and I went all-in. Glenn was in the big blind. He pondered his decision, but he knew he had to call me. I really didn't have enough chips at this point to be a contender for first place, unless I doubled up, then caught some more cards. I was happy that he called me. He had A7s. He immediately spiked an ace, and IGHN. Compared to the last time he busted me, this time I think he did the right thing. Well, I think both of us did the right thing. Had he folded his big blind, it just would have delayed my torture a little bit longer. I was the shortest stack, by far, and with the blinds at 200/400, about to go up to 300/600, I would have only been able to survive about six more hands. JJ was the only playable hand I received during the entire final table play.

I won $200 and they were down to three.

Chris was the shortest stack, and getting no cards. He constantly had to let his blinds get stolen, and his frustration was showing. One time he showed a 53o, to illustrate just how bad his cards were. Finally, to avoid getting so blinded down that even doubling up wouldn't help him, he shoved all in with QJs. The two seat called with Ax and Chris was eliminated in third.

Immediately, the two seat proposed a deal with Glenn. He gave Glenn $175 more than second paid, and took the rest. It was a great deal, which Glenn, who was shorter stacked than him, readily accepted.

What a great night! We more than quadrupled our buy-in's, and had a great final table.

Hope you are playing great!

ohkanada
10-30-2003, 06:16 PM
Nice report as per usual. Nice to see both of you in the money.

Ken Poklitar

FeliciaLee
10-31-2003, 03:33 PM
Thanks, Ken!

This poker room is so juicy that we have been in the money about 1/2 of the time! Even with 50+ entrants!!! It is unreal.

The payouts aren't huge, but they are very steady. I love it!