PDA

View Full Version : How was my play?

rootsmusic
10-30-2003, 04:33 PM
Thanks in advance to all who comment.

ALL HANDS are online $50 buy-in NL at Paradise. Big blind is $0.50.

HAND 1: Money is pretty deep, with 5+ players at > $80, mostly decent players with a couple weaker ones with shorter stacks. Play has been fairly aggressive. I have $50 in chips.

Preflop: Fold, fold, fold, limp by biggest stack ($105) decent but looser with the big stack, fold, fold, I raise $2.50 with T /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif, BB (has $90, seeing more flops with big stack) calls, limper calls.
Flop: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif BB check, MP check, I bet $4, BB calls, MP folds
Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif BB checks, I bet $5, BB calls
River: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif BB checks, I check
-------

HAND 2: Same table texture as previous hand, but different players. Many flops being seen mulitway for cheap.

Preflop: Utg calls (has $29 seems a bit looser), fold, call, I call with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, fold, call, fold, fold, call, check.
Flop (6-way with $3 in pot): A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif :check, check, utg bets $1, fold, I raise to $3.50, folded back to him and he calls.
Turn: 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif He checks, I bet $4, he calls.
River: 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif He bets $11, I fold.
-------

HAND 3: Slightly tougher table, avg stack size is ~$50, biggest is $80. Weaker players at table are not horrible. Some very good players at table.

Preflop: UTG (avg player with $40) calls, folded to CO (good player with $75) who calls, button (perhaps below average skills, with $20) limps, sb (worst player at table with $12) calls, and I check in BB (with $40) 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Flop: 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif SB checks, I check, utg bets $1, good player calls, button calls, short stack folds, I call.
Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif I bet $3, utg folds, good player raises to $6, button folds, I fold.
-------

HAND 4: Wilder table, mixed skill level, but lots more raising going on, bigger pots.

Preflop: Folded to me in late mid position, I (with $73) open for $3 holding A /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, folded to big blind (loose, wilder player with $39) who calls.
Flop: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif BB checks, I bet $5, BB calls
Turn: 7/images/graemlins/club.gif BB bets $3, I raise to $12, BB calls
River: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif BB checks, I bet $8.50, BB folds
-------

thanks

rootsmusic
10-30-2003, 04:49 PM
HAND 1: I took the pot when he flipped 9/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif

HAND 2: After I folded he showed his A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif for the nut flush

HAND 3: Did not find out what he had, but felt good about the fold. I thought against a good player my hand had 2nd-best written all over it. He could easily have a set or better 2-pair, not to mention the straight made on the turn. Then again maybe he was protecting something like A9s.

HAND 4: Initially I was worried that he had flopped 2-pair when he called my flop bet. But when he bet $3 into me on the turn, that smelled like a trying-to-limit-his-drawing-price attempt, as I remembered that this was a very loose player, losing money all night. That's why I raised it up on the turn. My bet on the river was only happened because the flush missed and an A hit, otherwise I probably check it down. I guess he missed a draw.

tewall
10-30-2003, 04:57 PM
Hand 1. I wouldn't bet the TT unless I felt that bet would win right there. With a slightly different flop, I like the bet better. (I think you're too likely to get called, either because you'll be put on a draw, or they'll have a draw themselves). Most of the time I would c/f.

Hand 2. With 5 opponents, I wouldn't want to play this one either.

Hand 3. I'm not sure why you folded here. He's most likely semi-bluffing, don't you think? What'd you think he had?

Hand 4. No stack sizes were given, but the play seems routine and well done.

tewall
10-30-2003, 06:04 PM
You played #1 much better than I would have (although I'm not sure how you played it was correct, not being results oriented /images/graemlins/smile.gif). I would have gone away like a little girl and waited for a better opportunity.

#3 I think a good player would be more likely to make that raise with a hand that you can beat than with one that beats you. If I understood the description and did the math correctly, he raised you something like $3 in a pot of about $11. This is giving you the price to hit a draw. If he really had a good hand, and he's a good player, he shouldn't do that. He should raise enough to protect his hand. Since he raised less it seems more likely that he wants you to fold, as there's no hand he could have that would want you to see the river cheaply.

On 4 it would depend on the stack sizes and the players. Against good players with deep stacks, I wouldn't like your hand, but with the stacks and player as they probably were, I think you played it exactly right and the result is to be expected.

rootsmusic
10-30-2003, 06:46 PM
Thanks for your comments.

On #3 I guess I just had respect for this player's raises, he was one of the good ones I had seen. Also, rereading the post and doing the math I believe that when the turn card hits there is $6.50 in the pot (maybe $6 because of rake), I bet $3, so I think he is raising $6 to win $9.50. I saw it as a reasonable "callable" raise, but I suspected that it represented strength, not trying to chase me from the pot. I had a feeling he might have limped a middle pair and was slowplaying a set, and was defending it when the 4th straight card hit. I'm usually hesitant to call vs decent players with middle 2-pair. But I hear you, I might very well have laid down the best hand.

With #1, I felt better heads up with this hand, and also because he was so passive throughout. I would not play this the same way with more than one opponent. I was happy to be checked to on the river when overcard #2 hit.

1800GAMBLER
10-30-2003, 06:53 PM
Hand 1. I would have been done with the hand after the pot sized flop bet was called.

Hand 2. I only play in the CO or button. I'd fold the flop.

Hand 3. I would have checkraised. My fold here is player dependant.

Hand 4. I would have bet bigger on the river.

tewall
10-30-2003, 07:29 PM
On 3 if his raise was more like a pot-sized raise than a small one, I would go with the read and fold if you read him as strong. If the raise was actually small, not large enough to protect his hand, I would expect to have him beat.

On 1, I don't understand your comment, unless I misread something. I thought you weren't heads up, but against 2 opponents. Unless you're talking about later on in the hand.