PDA

View Full Version : Medium suited connectors LP in a limpfest

PokerNoob
10-30-2003, 01:43 PM
I have seen the advice to raise this hand in late positions and it makes sense to me and I'm going to start doing it. Down to what range are we taking about 87s? 76s? How many limpers ahead do you need? Do you ever play this hand if it has been raised in front of you?

How do you play it after the flop? Release everything except fourflush, openender or gutshot straight, trips or two pair? How about top pair? If you hit any of those obviously you should bet but should you raise a bet assuming enough hands ahead of you called the bet to preserve your pot odds (being particularly wary on the gutshot)? It seems to me that you should.

Finally, if you make your non-nut hand on the turn and encounter resistance in the form of a raise, do you just call a river bet? I would assume a lot of this is opponent read, but just in general to an unknown or solid opponent.

Bob T.
10-30-2003, 03:06 PM
I think you like action too much.

Why not limp with these hands, and try and get the biggest implied odds with them? Especially at the limits you are playing, a sound mathematical game will make the most money.

Raising to tie players to a pot, where they will probably be tied to the pot, because that is what they do, will decrease your return on investment, and increase your volatility without a real increase in your profits.

tj00
10-30-2003, 03:37 PM
I am with Bob T. I almost never make this play. If I did though I would want around 5 or 6 limpers with a min of T9s.

GuyOnTilt
10-30-2003, 03:46 PM
[/b]How do you play it after the flop? Release everything except fourflush, openender or gutshot straight, trips or two pair? How about top pair? If you hit any of those obviously you should bet but should you raise a bet assuming enough hands ahead of you called the bet to preserve your pot odds (being particularly wary on the gutshot)? It seems to me that you should. Finally, if you make your non-nut hand on the turn and encounter resistance in the form of a raise, do you just call a river bet?[/b]

Questions as general as these cannot be given accurate responses. Judging from your earlier post, you need to work ONLY on your preflop play right now. Stop worrying about anything postflop! Concentrate on fixing the leaks in your limping and cold-calling right now. You should STOP COLD-CALLING altogether, because you can't distinguish the few places that it's correct to do so. If there's a raise in front of you, either 3-bet or fold. Read, reread, and re-reread HPFAP's section on Preflop play.

lil'
10-30-2003, 05:04 PM
Guy,

Thinking about your post about the forum...

Can we direct these types of questions to the "general" forum? I think that's really where they belong.

PokerNoob
10-30-2003, 05:10 PM
Oops, my bad. This really does belong in the Beginners Forum. I guess I posted it here because it was a followup to a previous post of mine. Is there any way to move it?

lil'
10-30-2003, 05:30 PM
No, but you can just post it in the other forum. Nobody will mind.